Find
Notify
Tools

outfitted hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
I am getting started researching a hunt for my son and I for 2010. We would like to do an unguided hunt for elk or mule deer. I was thinking a drop camp. My son says he would like to go in on horse back.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve Lefforge or ravenr might have some ideas.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double R Ranch and Butte Creek Outfitters in Cody, WY.

No, I do not rep them. But I have used them to great results.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Elk City Adventures.

I and several friends have hunted black bear with them, but they do elk hunts as well.

They hunt Idaho.

www.elkcityadventures.com

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Look at western Colorado. You can Google for more info. Many landowners offer trespass hunts for less than 1500 for both bucks and bulls. Bull tags are over the counter, bucks can be had with 0 points.

Good luck!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will add my two cents , ask questions then ask somemore then when you kind of gotten a idea who you want to hunt with ask more questions on different hunting sites on the web to fine things good or bad about the outfitter.Then weigh it all out and use your judgement.

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I research alot thats why I am starting over a year early. My boy and I did a antelope self hunt and made out great. But it takes alot of looking talking and leg work. Antelope is most likely the easiest to top it off.
Thanks

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before choosing an outfit, you need to answer some questions and make some decisions.

Pick a primary species, elk or deer. Some places you can hunt both, but you should focus on one or the other.
What is more important, the overall experience or filling the tag ?
How important is the size of the trophy ?
What kind of experience are you looking for. Serious wilderness or close to town comfort ?
Easy terrain or rugged mountains ?
Alpine or high desert ?
Does the possibility or wolves or grizzlies bother you ? How about scorpions or rattlesnakes ?
Are you looking for total solitude ?

Keep in mind the more things you want/expect out of this hunt, the more it will likely cost

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tonto

One more thing I would like to mention, you stated that you're boy would like to ride in on horse back. I'm quessing that would more than likely be a wilderness hunt. You will need a guide or a resident to go with you if that is the case.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One more thing I would like to mention, you stated that you're boy would like to ride in on horse back. I'm quessing that would more than likely be a wilderness hunt. You will need a guide or a resident to go with you if that is the case.

This is true Only in Wyoming.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not always a good idea. 2 points to make here. Point #1- Many outfitters and guides selling a drop camp hunt are going to put your camp where they have not seen an elk in years...very low success rate. They save their good locations for the "paying clients" ie...the 5000.00 payers. Point #2 - Who is going to make sure of your safety when/if the weather turns very ugly and your life is at risk? Many outfitters are going to tend to their high dollar clients first and the drop camp LAST. I have friends that nearly died in Colorado this very way. If it was not for one of the guides taking it upon himself to go in and get them out, risking his life and job...at his outfitters demand not to do so, my friends would have died. The outfitter forcibly requested that the "full rate" clients be resqued first, even though my friends were in much greater danger. This was due to a massive and quick snowfall, with plummeting temperatures and collapsing tents. Sure death if there is no intervention from the outfitter. Something to think about.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote