Find
Notify
Tools

Oryx hunt in N.M.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted
It almost time again to apply for the Oryx hunt on the Base in New Mexico. I was wondering if anyone would like to put in their two bits on which areas are the best--by number of trophies and conditions on the terrian and access. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks fishing

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're all hit pretty hard, but SMR is really tough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
pistolero is correct, Small Msl Range is the most difficult. SMR characterized by head tall creosote brush and difficult spot/stalk terrain. Rhodes Canyon and Stallion are much more open country. Lots of Oryx but with 100 hunters in a fairly confined area, they all get pushed and harried by 9am Sat morn. Good luck, it's a great hunt.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 936 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Rhodes area in Feb 06. at the prehunt lecture they tell you not to leave the roads. This is BS in my opinion. You do need an atv to get the Oryx out of the area asap as you are supposed to be off range by sundown. I shot mine (37" cow) about 2 miles from nearest road about 2 hours before sundown on Sat. We called range officials(cell phone useage is very good) and told them who, where and what we were doing and they waited for us at nearest road access. PM me if you have any questions - and yes the hunt is an absolute great time. Tom

Posts: 88 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the small missile range is the most difficult terrain is it a stretch to ask if there are (1) better horns in the area and (2) is it more of a hunt rather that a shoot?

Maybe I'll finally draw a tag this year, along with the ibex of course.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Rhodes Canyon in October 2006. Great time and a lot or oryx. Had the 100 hunters but not all are hunting the normal oryx. Some broken horn hunters, etc. Finally nailed mine at 11:30 on sunday at 305 yards. We worked pretty hard but didn't know what we were doing.

Two types of roads you can drive on. Regulare black top and better dirt roads called something but I forgot the name. Great time and country is open enough to hunt. Helps to get elevated. Find the elevated locations and fight the local guides for gaining height to glass.

Mine went 35" both sides and was bull with .6 1/2" bases.

Hunt is much fun especially the orientation with 200 people (100 hunters and friends.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I've been to all three locations in the past year. The Small Missile Range is a bad idea for your once in a lifetime hunt. The oryx manager at the Range has even recommended changing the SMR hunt from once in a lifetime because their efforts to reduce the population there has been so successful. Average hunter success rate in that area has dropped from near 100% to less than 70%. Rhodes (was there in March) and Stallion (there in January last year) still have plenty of oryx, and there are trophies to be found (I was with llamapacker of this forum on his Rhodes hunt when he killed a 41.5 incher). If you hope to shoot a 37 incher from the hood of your truck like they did 10 years ago, you might have problems. If you're willing to hit the hills and walk a little, you can still shoot a good oryx in either of these two places. As of March, you were allowed to leave the roads to hunt, you just can't drive off of the roads except to retrieve downed game. Like Pancho, I'd be happy to answer questions or offer whatever limited advice I can via PM.

Posts: 3299 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I applied for the hunt today. 3 choices were for Jan. , Feb., and March in Rhodes and one in Stallion. IF I'm lucky to draw I will contact you guys. Thanks again. fishing

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote