Notify
Tools

Deer season in PA - suggestions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
Fellow hunters!

It looks like I may be able to get some time off work during PA buck season and return to the state of my birth. My pop and I want to do some hunting together (haven't done it in recent years because of work and other obligations.) We usually hunt in the National Forest south of Wellsboro, PA (Tioga County) but am up for any suggestions from fellow AR members. The success rate in the area we have hunted basically sucked for us and my wife is dying for some venison in the freezer...

So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The deer density in many areas of the state forest in the northcentral part of the state are very low, between five and ten deer per square mile. Other areas of the state are much higher. Probably the best of the best would be the western part of the state, Crawford County comes to mind.

I hunt the southcentral section of the state. Deer densities are adequate, and with the antler restrictions in effect, we are starting to see more nice bucks than we ever did. If you are interested in hunting anywhere in PA and are looking for public land, here are two websites at which you can download maps. The first is the DCNR website:
DCNR find a forest link

The second is a link to the Pa. Game Commission's site. You can download good maps of state gamelands from here:
State Gamelands Maps

You might also do a search for the Alleghenny National Forest, Pennsylvania's only National Forest. We do have some other federal land, but this is the biggest chunk.

Good luck hunting. The time you spend with your dad will be worth much more than any venison you might be lucky enough to get. My dad died before I had a chance to get to know him as an adult. I envy you that.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a pretty nice 8 point in Potter County a couple years ago. Lots of deer up that way. One of my navy buddies is from there and he set the trip up. Don't know about the availability of land if you don't know someone, but there sure was a lot of deer when I went.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Due to the new program deer numbers are down. PA hunters don't seem to hunt more than 1/4 mile from a road though. If you are willing to get off the road a ways your odds may be better. In any case Potter County is some of the most beautiful country around (IMHO) and hunting there with your father should be a grand experience.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deer numbers may be down in some areas, but they are not down where I hunt. There are as many deer (or more) as there ever were. The central mountains are not so great in terms of numbers. The farm areas in the southwest part of the state probably have the highest numbers of deer. There is some public land, but its a madhouse during the firearms season, and I avoid it.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
I live in Bucks County and I see at least 75 individual deer daily.
If you have a slug gun, muzzle loader or bow there is no shortage here.
Sadly there is little or no public land left either.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
MLC:

I grew up in Buck's County - Fairless Hills to be exact. My pop still lives there.

Used to hunt but at Nockimixon when I was a kid.

Still trying to find a "decent" place to take my pop this year...

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote