Find
Notify
Tools

Re: WY Elk Death Mystery Solved
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted
My brother in Rawlins passed along this same information when I talked with him. The area these elk are in was just east of where I hunted deer this past fall. My brother said they now have cut the number of tags and that ALOT of the locals are looking to apply elsewhere. I told him he should apply to that unit as his odds of drawing are probably better now than at any other point in time. What would you all do? Apply here or in another area??

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard if this was "prussic acid"? We lost cows to this when I was a kid in Texas. The acid forms only when the soil and atmospheric moisture conditions are perfect. The prussic acid was forming on Johnson and/or bahia grass on our farm - don't know squat about lichens!

Prussic acid was my first reaction when I heard the symptoms. I'll never forget watching those cows stagger around and die. It cost us our farm.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This doesnt surprise me that much...if those elk got pushed over from the high country in Colorado, they definitely would have been in a new area when they hit that High desert south of Rawlins and Rock Springs. If not acclimated, they could have eaten any number of toxic plants. Hell, there is plenty of bad water in that area too.

Another factor is that 2 to three years ago, due to bad drought, there were a large number of fires in that area too. The age of the plants or size of stems could have had them eating young versions of something that they would normally pass on. Then again...if they were that stressed due to the winter, they might have died no matter what they were eating.

Trust the Game & Fish to overreact and cut tags at any opportunity. They got their price increase in already, it wont cut their budget.

The elk in that area dont pay any attention to state lines, they migrate into and out of CO and UT as nature moves them. Have CO or UT cut their tags in the areas???
See above comment.

swede

Posts: 44 | Location: North Central ND | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Well, it depends of which report one puts faith in. The one from AP on MSNBC has the following in it:

Native elk not affected
Elk native to the area weren�t affected by the acid, but those killed in the die-off apparently had moved in

from Colorado and may have lacked microorganisms needed to neutralize the acid, state biologists said.

The Colorado line is 50 miles south of the area where the elk died. < !--color-->

BUT...neither my source at WY G&F or the release from the agency mentioned the above. If it is true, though, why would the tags in the area be cut???

Anyway, since I'm writing this up for my column, I'll make a call manana and clear it up for certain. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The area from which WY Game and Fish surmised the elk migrated straddles the Wyoming-Colorado border, so there shouldn't be much doubt that the elk in question include at least a part of Wyoming in their range.

Posts: 62 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The prussic acid was forming on Johnson and/or bahia grass on our farm

In this case it's usnic acid that is produced by parmelia, prussic acid isn't produced by lichens but in some grasses, sorghums and a few other plants. Prussic acid forms when the cyanogenic compounds in the outer tissue of the plant are combined with the enzymes in leaf tissue when the plant is chewed or cut. Usnic acid, if I remember correctly, is unique to lichens and they produce it as an antimicrobial defense mechanism. Lichens are pretty cool because they produce a lot of compounds unique to them that we have found a lot of uses for, particularly in medicine.

This might get really interesting because lichens and bryophytes are often used as biomonitors to study air quality and the effects of airborne pollutants. They are very sensitive to gaseous pollutants and they accumulate elements and radioactive isotopes in their tissues. There's a huge amount of data on this.

So I'd say that one of the questions will be wether airborne pollutants influence usnic acid production in lichens.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote