THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Body of Missing Hunter Found Wednesday

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Body of Missing Hunter Found Wednesday
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.ozarkradionews.com...nter-found-wednesday

Body of Missing Hunter Found Wednesday

By Nate Hudson -November 17, 2022

West Plains, MO. – The body of the hunter that went missing on Sunday was found on Wednesday morning. The body of Phillip Carnell, age 58 of Sikeston, Missouri, was recovered Wednesday morning about 900 feet from the location he had gone hunting.

The Ozark National Scenic Riverways reported the news around 5 p.m. on November 16.

Carnell was deer hunting in Ozark National Scenic Riverways, near Cave Spring in Carter County. He was dropped off at his hunting spot on the morning of November 13 by a friend. When he failed to return from hunting later in the day and could not be located by family and friends, he was reported missing. Emergency responders began scouring the area for Carnell that evening.

After more than two days of intense searching, volunteers on horseback discovered Carnell’s body on a small island in a slough on November 16. It is suspected that he became lost and crossed the slough onto the island while tracking a deer. The condition of the body is consistent with death caused by hypothermia and exposure. An investigation is ongoing.

During the course of the search, multiple local agencies, fire departments, and organizations provided personnel and resources. There was a huge outpouring of community support, with nearly 150 volunteers combing the area on November 14 and 15. The search teams utilized nearly every means of search available by air, land, and water. Volunteers and emergency responders traversed the area on foot, in vehicles, by boat, and on horseback. Aircraft and drones flew over the area multiple times, and dog teams were used in an attempt to pick up a scent trail.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9447 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We write books on Bears, Cape Buffalo, Lion, Elephants, and Tigers. However, hyperthermia is chasing us all.

Stay dry, buy good gear, carry a device to stay in contact, bring a pack with dry layers heat source/fire starter, and no shame waiting for help.

I am saddened for his family. I am glad they were able to find him for grief and grieving.

Posts: 11665 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
We write books on Bears, Cape Buffalo, Lion, Elephants, and Tigers. However, hyperthermia is chasing us all.

Stay dry, buy good gear, carry a device to stay in contact, bring a pack with dry layers heat source/fire starter, and no shame waiting for help.

This^^^^^

Zeke

I am saddened for his family. I am glad they were able to find him for grief and grieving.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That was a big story here. People really tried hard to find that poor man however after one night out there he would have been gone for sure. This region has had unusual/terribly cold temps with wind since the start of firearms season.

Reminds us if we go alone into unfamiliar or remote territory we should have a plan to stay warm. Always have a lighter or matches, knife, at minimum. Fire can save.

On a side note much of Missouri is very rural and we do not have cell towers like other places so phones are not reliable here. I have been in seriously remote camps in Africa that had better cell service. Kind of something more urban people do not understand. Those of us who provide their food often are left without the modern tech that they have and can rely on.

~Ann

Posts: 19433 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
That was a big story here. People really tried hard to find that poor man however after one night out there he would have been gone for sure. This region has had unusual/terribly cold temps with wind since the start of firearms season.

Reminds us if we go alone into unfamiliar or remote territory we should have a plan to stay warm. Always have a lighter or matches, knife, at minimum. Fire can save.

On a side note much of Missouri is very rural and we do not have cell towers like other places so phones are not reliable here. I have been in seriously remote camps in Africa that had better cell service. Kind of something more urban people do not understand. Those of us who provide their food often are left without the modern tech that they have and can rely on.

KY is just like that with service. We use high grade, commercial two way radios to stay in touch, whistles can also be life saviors.

We are religious about taping trails if following deer.

There is no shame in marking your way out and getting help.

Posts: 11665 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very good idea.

~Ann

Posts: 19433 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I would have guessed a heart attack. Seems like there are some deaths every season with guys dragging out their deer.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
There must be a bunch of un answered questions. The law is asking anyone that hunted that area to come forward for questioning.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
There must be a bunch of un answered questions. The law is asking anyone that hunted that area to come forward for questioning.

That is extra work for a supposedly natural cause.

I have recovered several bodies of decreased outdoorsmen. Unless there was signs of foul play we didn't do any follow up.

Posts: 19497 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

That is extra work for a supposedly natural cause.

I have recovered several bodies of decreased outdoorsmen. Unless there was signs of foul play we didn't do any follow up.

Well...they obviously think he didn't die of natural causes since the case is still open.
BTW....I live 20 miles away. This case is local to me.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Woke up Sunday morning last month and two game wardens and a sheriff were on the deck of our lodge. My first thoughts was that it was something about Red Wolves. Turned out they wanted to use our boat ramp. There is a 9,000 acre island about 15 miles from our place. Our ramp, which is private, is the closet to the island. There were going to do an investigation and retrieve the body of a hunter who had a heart attack up in the deer stand.

Posts: 518 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sad news. Frowner Glad they could recover the body. Sage advice above from many of you. We are all vulnerable to the forces of nature when we are unprepared. Frowner