New
Find
Notify
Tools

From Lewis & Clark Journals
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
"McNeal informed me that he had approached a white (grizzly) bear within ten feet without discovering him. the horse took alarm and threw him immediately under the bear. This animal raised himself up on his hind feet for battle and gave him time to recover from his fall and with his clubbed musket he struck the bear over the head. The bear, stunned with the stroke, fell to the ground and began to scratch his head with his feet. This gave McNeal time to climb a willow tree, which was near at hand. The bear waited at the foot of the tree until late in the evening before he left him. -- Near the Great Falls of the Missoouri, July 15, 1806

Can you believe that the Lewis & Clark expedition only lost one man? And that was to dysentery shortly after leaving St. Louis.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I thought the one death was do to Appendicts?Could be wrong but the Docter that took my wifes out also mentioned the one death on the Lewis Clark Ex was from that?

On August 20, 1804 The Corps of Discovery suffered its first and only death when Sergeant Charles Floyd died, apparently from acute appendicitis.

Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
'Tis true and now he lies buried on the west coast of Iowa - very nearly washed out of the bluff over I-25 a few years back. There is a memorial there.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote