New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm-08 vs. 6.5x55
 Login/Join

<HOG>
posted
Which would make a better deer cartridge, a 7mm-08 or a 6.5x55. Also, what bullet would you load it with. I know both would work just fine but what would be your guys' personal preferance and why?

<leo>
posted
It's a toss up. Throw the .260 and 7x57 in and it's still all a toss up. They're all very close in their capabilities. A 140 grain bullet in all four calibers.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I don't have a 7-08 but I have a couple of 7X57's and a couple of 6.5X55's. I think both calibers are great for deer. I use the 7X57 when hunting typicals and the 6.5's when hunting non-typicals.

On a serious note, when I got my first 6.5X55 I was expecting performance in line with a 257 Roberts. On deer and hogs I've found it hits more like a 270.

If I had to pick only one or the other (assuming rifles were identical), I'd give the edge to the 7X57. Only because of the ease of loading heavier bullets.

This may sound quirky (and is) but I'd rather have a 6.5X55 than a 7-08, and, at the same time, I'd rather have a 7X57 than a 260 Rem. Now that's splitting hairs!!

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 6,5x55 since I already own one of those

Seriously I don't think that there is any difference worth mentioning regarding terminal performance. Of course, if a short action is important the 7mm-08 is your choice.

I would look for a rifle I liked with any of the above and let the choice of rifle decide the issue.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many people have a perception that the 6.5x55 and the 7x57 are 'sweet' shooters. One of the reasons that this is possible is that they are less stressed because they operate at lower pressure. 7mm08 is capable of stellar performance from a small package but that may come at a price.

6.5x55 and 7x57 loaded as designed give a hollow boom that is easier on the ears and gives just the same results.

If I had to sell all but one rifle 6.5x55 is the one I'd keep.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only experience between the two has been with a 7-08 and I am well pleased with the round. I shoot either 140 partitions or 145 grand slams, depending on which one the rifle likes best.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes! Seriously, I would go with the 7mm-08 simply for the bullet selection. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Yspen>
posted
I replaced my 7mm (7x64)with a 6,5x55 ..........
Ben

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Well, HOG. There you have it! The best thing about this forum is its members' ability to help each other simplify those tough decisions. You asked for help choosing between two calibers and we've managed to narrow that decision down to four calibers. LOL

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
My choice is the 7-08 Ackley 2970fps from a 20 inch barrel and 140grn bullets. Thats 280 perfomance with 4 inches less of barrel

<Reloader66>
posted
Short and to the point, I have the 7MM-08 and have no plans to add any one of the other three rounds to my gun closet