Find
Notify
Tools

BARNES TSX and Idaho cow elk (pics)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted
Hey all! Our early cow only (cultivated fields depradation hunt) opened and my partner and I each connected on the first day!

I was fortunate enough to recover the 225TSX from my 338RUM in the far side hide. It passed through both shoulders. She took 3 steps and dropped. (About 340 yards)

WE did this hunt last year and the dry cows are sure tasty. Now we have to wait until October for the bull hunt (although we will have to pay non-resident prices for our second tags.....)
My partner took his with a 300RUM at about 150 yards......

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting. Nice elk and good eating. thumb Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You mean a 338 TSX failed. One did not drive completely through a cow elk sounds like a major failure of the bullet and rifle combo to Me.

Must have be driven way to fast out of the Rum Glad you were able to kill the poor critter I surprised it did not bounce right off.

(Sarcasm Off)

Nice job should be some fine eating.

But then I have been know to kill elk with lord the horibble Serria MK's. Heven for bid.

Posts: 19615 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice early hunt guys!
It's always a good time to put an elk in the freezer.
Tell us about your partners shot and ammo and results ( obviously a dead elk was the final result) or bullet performance.
Thanks for the pictures.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the last picture, the carcass between you two...

The gambrel seems to have bent from the weight!!!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
In the last picture, the carcass between you two...

The gambrel seems to have bent from the weight!!!

Funny you notice that! Yes it is bent from using a 2x4 to hoist it up. (so much for cheap gambrels) the other gambrel was made of 5/8" solid stock by my partner Rey (seen in the photo) it held wonderfully.

Rey's shot was a little over 150 yards in the neck, 180TSX passed clean through (no surprise) he uses a LH Browning A-bolt with a cut rifled 30" barrel. The picture showing him dragging the one elk (very effortlessly) is a little deceiving because he is dragging down a fairly steep hill.....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoorah!

Great news for the freezer. Will make some lovely meals throughout the year. Congratulations!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Congradulations to both of you! What's the handle your partner is using to drag with? Looks handy. It also looks like it was made from a water ski tow handle. Good idea.

I remember dragging a big deer down hill like that (rope loop for a handle) and I got onto the downhill side of the trail and so did the deer. As soon as his hair hit the wheat grass it started accelerating faster than me... that is until it took my feet out from under me.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote