New
Find
Notify
Tools

Velocity velocity velocity!!!
 Login/Join

<Juneau>
posted
If you think velocity equates to accuracy, read the story about the buffalo hunter Billy Dixon and the Battle of Adobe Walls!

<Crawfish>
posted
I read all these posts about veloicity and just have to smile. Up untill about two years ago 1200fps was the upper end of my load limits. After talking to some reloaders with much more experence than I have I am now dancing around 2000fps with some of my handgun loads. EVERY animal that I have put a bullet into since 1991 has died on the spot execpt for one (very large feral pig sow). I have not recovered a single bullet because they have all passed through. Guess your statements have to be taken with a pound of salt.

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Dogworker,

VERY SORRY if you thought I was referring to you. It was GSF1200's original post that did it. As I have written many times, I believe that marksmanship (shot placement) and bullet construction are the 2 most important parts of hunting (once the game is found and you've gotten as close as you are going to get). Velocity is just not that important to me.

I have found that many of my clients don't hit well (if at all) at ranges of 150 yards and up (yes, I said 150 yards). Some don't practice enough and/or forget to allow for the wind (even though I tell them where to hold in most cases), and some just can't control their nerves. Don't get me wrong, though. Some of my clients are skilled riflemen and shoot very well at whatever their self-imposed range limit is. It's just that too many people use velocity, and technology in general, as a crutch. No technology can make up for a lack of practice and familiarity with your rifle and cartridge.

Come out of your hole. You're scaring me.

------------------
Greg Rodriguez
Mombasa Trading Company
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote