THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Proposed bill allows silencers for hunting in Wyoming

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proposed bill allows silencers for hunting in Wyoming
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
JACKSON, Wyo. — A state legislative panel has endorsed a proposed bill that would allow silencers to be used while hunting any type of game in Wyoming.

The Legislature's Joint Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee voted to sponsor the proposal at a public meeting in Jackson recently.

Current Wyoming Game and Fish Department regulations bar silencers, also known as suppressors.

The bill also includes stiffer penalties for anyone who uses a silencer to poach or take wildlife in violation of Game and Fish regulations.

Critics say the silencer provision is too broad and would compromise the safety of hunters in the field because the sound of gunfire lets hunters know where other hunters are located.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The out lawing of suppressors is one of the worse health care laws ever adopted.

How many millions of shooters have lost their hearing because of it.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Good! Suppressors became legal for big game here in Texas September 1st. They have always been legal for non-game animals.

I hope it passes and gets signed!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
The out lawing of suppressors is one of the worse health care laws ever adopted.

How many millions of shooters have lost their hearing because of it.

We still have to have a Class III license though, right?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14620 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Georgia recently passed a law allowing use of silencers for hunting. Still did a class III license which from what I hear can take 6 months or longer.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Class III license needed. Only a Form IV and a $200 transfer stamp. Yeah, transfers are taking a bit of time.

Posts: 391 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kansas started allowing them last year. You need the Form IV and the $200 to buy one, but a Class III to sell one.

The issue is still whether a non-resident has the same rules as a resident when hunting with one. As a Kansas resident, can I legally take my suppressed rifle to Missouri (also legal) and use it. MDC says....."we don't know".

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Europeans and some of the South Pacific nations, think its crazy we aren't allowed to use cans on our rifles. Anyone got a good reason why they were banned in the first place?

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The pressure is on for the positive benefits of suppressors and I hope it continues. The original law was stupid and ill concieved and none of our legislators had the will or drive to change it. Benefits far out weigh the negatives and I hope that the permitting process gets smoother and easier. Keep the pressure up and perhaps we'll get to catch up with the rest of the hunting world.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have them all my hunting rifles and love them. My 9 year old hunts with me all the time. I'm deaf but I am very careful with muzzle report around her, no quick shots at a coyote or hog that shows them self momentarily. The supressors are really nice for that and giving quiet instruction while preparing someone for a shot.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56,

Critics say the silencer provision is too broad and would compromise the safety of hunters in the field because the sound of gunfire lets hunters know where other hunters are located.

You can hear the report from over 1/2 mile away, echoing out of canyons I would say miles. A silencer supresses the report, not silence it.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would love to see this regulation pass. I've never owned a suppressor, but would love to expereiment and try one in the future. My hearing can use all the help it can get.
Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just singned into law in AZ (probably the most suppressors per capita in the US) as well as lifting the magazine capacity for hunting rifles. No stupid 5 round mags in your AR-10 on the border. Also opened up night hunting of varmints

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm waiting for the law requiring silencers for politicians

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in the UK, they are known as 'Moderators'.

Unlike the Hollywood image of a 'Silencer' merely making your rifle produce a dull 'Phut' - the reality is a report that is about equal to a .22 Magnum.

Great things to save your hearing - the down side is that they will give your rifle the handling of a drain-pipe. Unless removed and a strict cleaning regime followed after use, they will also corrode the crown & bore of your baby.

Nice to have, but not always a benefit!

Rgds

Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .300 whisper is pretty quiet when shot subsonic. Here is a clip shooting a steel plate. Click on the picture for the video.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote