New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proud of my Tracking Job
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yesterday morning, my wife unzipped a muley because she underestimated the range. This left a bit of intestines sticking out and very little blood. First, we managed to find it in some brush. It had its back to me at 30 yards, but I was rifleless having filled out earlier. I was signaling my wife where the deer was, and it burst out. She had a quick running shot which took off its right front foot. That's when the tracking job began. It bled very little, sometimes one drop in 40 yards. After about a 2 1/2 hour tracking job, I found it dead close to a mile away.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JD, Darn shame about the problems along the way, but real glad to hear you did recover the Deer. Nice tracking.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
At least the animal was recovered. Do you have pictures?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Gut shot and a foot blown off, huh? How did your wife react to that utter mess she put herself in?

Sounds like you did a good job tracking.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's always good to hear a happy ending to a bad situation.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too bad more states do not allow blood tracking dogs to be used they are amazing to watch.

My guess is that a dog would have trailed that deer in under 20 min. The use of them would save a lot of wounded game.

I say that because to would take the handler that long to follow.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Too bad more states do not allow blood tracking dogs to be used they are amazing to watch.

My guess is that a dog would have trailed that deer in under 20 min. The use of them would save a lot of wounded game.

I say that because to would take the handler that long to follow.

Yep. You should see my labs in action. I didn't realize that the use of track dogs was illegal in some states til recently. What kind of law is that? Who wouldn't want a hunter to find his quarry?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kamo: She was very upset with her poor shooting. It happens to everyone eventually; her first one this year died on the spot. This is the first deer I've had to track more than a couple hundred yards for her.

By the time I could go to town and get a dog to track a deer where we usually hunt, the deer would be bloated. 2 1/2 hours each way. It would also have been dark.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote