Find
Notify
Tools

Have You Seen This Before?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I have not shot a lot of deer but my latest had an interesting pattern on his back. I have never seen this before. Any comments as to why he has spots? I didn't notice it until I walked up and recovered him.

-

They are even visible from a distance...

-

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I swear in that first picture it looks like there is a squirrel gnawing on that deer's ass....what is that??

Posts: 425 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Looks like tire tracks. Maybe he was run over by an ATV!

That looks like a Ford 8N tractor in there too. Brings back memories!

[ 11-08-2002, 21:46: Message edited by: DennisHP ]

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
<GoWyo!>
posted
Ann, I think you shot one of the rare odocoileus virginianus crotalus, the diamondback whitetail deer. He didn't bite you or anything I hope. P.S. I hear that they taste like Chicken! Nice buck, neat coat, good job! Gary

posted Hide Post
Youngish buck? Fawn spots don't always disappear completely or on schedule. They do, however, seem to be highly uniform on this particular animal.

[ 11-08-2002, 22:18: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
Nah, those look like scratch marks from razzling around with the laydays.

Hey that does look like a rodent trying to get between the er.... He is irresistable to squirrels also. [Wink]

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you guys having trouble telling which end of the deer is which--that's his front right side hoof with god knows what on it---mud--growth--??? fill us in Ann---I'd have that hide tanned with hair on--unique--I'm going with Nickudu's fawn spot theory---nice buck--chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Haven't seen that kind of a pattern before. You do seem to find the most amazing things!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ann

I haven't seen that pattern on a deer before.

But congratulations on bagging the Buck. Are you ready for the Michigan Gun season?

rh

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If that's a doe I bet it's old injuries from breeding.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, just got the second picture.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Ann,

I've seen this before. A USFS biologist told me that it was residual fawn coloration (I may be paraphrasing slightly as I can't remember his exact words). We were at a checking station where they were aging checked deer for a survey/study and he told my dad (a professional forester and friend of his) that he'd seen 10-12 instances. I'd tell you his name but my dad is dead and I just can't remember the guy's name. The conversation was on the George Washington National Forest in 1966-1971 time frame. I wasn't over 16 so he just didn't pay any attention to me!

Appreciate the post, it brought back some great memories of Dad.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen thousands of dead deer never seen anything like it. [Roll Eyes] CWD in MI. also.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who knows, it looks neat though. I have seen one like it and one with a short dark mane, I will look for the picture and post it if I still have it. Good buck Ann!! [Smile]

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MY opinion as a trained LEO is that the ROOSTER had something to do with it!

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Doc in Texas>
posted
Ann,I have seen this before it is fawn spots that didn't go away. Did you harvest this buck early in the season before the cold weather hit? I have one that my oldist girl got 2 years ago that had that some like that on its back,but it was a W/T and Axis cross. I am looking for the pictures of it and will post them as soon as I can.

Great deer

Doc

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
..couldn't resist- wanted to make sure we didn't hear any complaints from Buell

-

Nice buck Ann
had to keep the rooster [Smile]

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys! Capt Jack, I LOVE the remodled photo! At least there were no beer cans in my tractor seat (I love my 8N!). There is a story there. The bird is one of my farm pets. He was "protecting" me from the beast hanging from the rafter! My rooster stood guard while I parted out that deer. I'd say he's getting rather cocky. [Wink]

Today he was crowing at a skunk I trapped. Weird bird.

The first picture shows the front legs folded under the deer so you are looking at his feet, not carnivorous squirrels! Yikes, what a thought! I did save all the feet for a gun rack. I will make this myself over the winter.

That buck was shot last Sunday and his teeth seem pretty worn down. I will get a better look tomorrow and will try and guess it's age. It's caped and this was my first job at caping. I think I did ok too. I left the entire back skin on to see what my taxidermist does with it. He's never had one come in spotted like this. HE thinks it's part sturgeon. [Eek!]

Doc, I'd like to see those photos of that hybred too. Sounds very cool.

Oh, gun opener is Friday. I have the day off! Been out every night and this morning but no more bucks seen. Very windy for the last two days.

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote