Find
Notify
Tools

Antelope Hunt Suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted
I’ve hunted antelope on my own in NE Montana and shot an even dozen in the mid ‘80’s and early ‘90’s. After a 15 hiatus I’m thinking about going for a speedgoat (or maybe 2) in 2012. From what I’ve heard, last winter really took a toll on the antelope in my old stamping grounds around Glasgow. So I’m considering Wyoming, mostly because I’ve never hunted in that state before but am open for suggestions elsewhere.

I’m looking for a guided hunt, not interested in D.I.Y. (Hunting is a lot like sex – you can do it all by yourself but having a partner adds to the experience.) Being a meat hunter, trophy size is not a concern and I’d really like the opportunity to take a buck and doe if at all possible. Would prefer accommodations on the ranch as I stay in enough motels for work, but this is not a big issue. The problem I’m having is that most guided antelope hunts seem to be geared to groups. None of my friends hunt so the "group" would have to consist of Me, Myself and I. I’m not a cheapskate but $3K for a 1 on 1 antelope hunt is a bit steep, especially after 10 years of guided cow elk hunts at half that price.

Any recommendations?

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Talk to Todd Smith at http://www.bearbasinoutfitters.net/antelope_hunt.htm

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can sure help you out with exactly what you're looking for for the price of $1750 plus tax just south of Gillette Wyoming. Very easy to get licenses. Give me a shout if you would like to discuss more. Thanks, Randy 605-375-3306

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With no points in the draw, your best bet is with an outfitter in an area that has more private land than public.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
texas

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Hiland Outfitters who is owned & guided by Tom Kessel who posts here on AR. Call him at 304-768-2090. His hunts are very well priced & always successful. He hunts on two different locations in Wyoming. A great time.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigasanelk:
I’ve hunted antelope on my own in NE Montana and shot an even dozen in the mid ‘80’s and early ‘90’s. After a 15 hiatus I’m thinking about going for a speedgoat (or maybe 2) in 2012. From what I’ve heard, last winter really took a toll on the antelope in my old stamping grounds around Glasgow.

I hunt DIY around Pinedale, have seen an outfitter from a distance who seems to get his guys on game. He drives a white pickup with a dent in one side, last I knew.

I have hunted around Glasgow a few times, not recently. What became of the band of antelope that was stranded on the south side of Fort Peck Reservoir? Does anybody know how that ended?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14590 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
"I have hunted around Glasgow a few times, not recently. What became of the band of antelope that was stranded on the south side of Fort Peck Reservoir? Does anybody know how that ended?"

That's a good question! I remember hearing about the antelope last spring but never heard what happened to them.

My boss has family in the Glasgow area. They said that antelope, deer and even sage grouse were practically wiped out in that part of the state.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the antelope that ended up south of Fort Peck drown trying to swim it. The Great Falls Tribune had an article on it last spring. I think that there was also some coverage in Montana Outdoors.

My father was out north of Jordan last spring after turkey, and said that it wasn't like it was in past years. The deer and antelope were there, but hard to find. Turkeys were so hot either, but he did get his.

My folks ended up hunting antelope around Great Falls, which is OK hunting, but not like the 700 district used to be.

Sad deal, but they will recover.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote