Find
Notify
Tools

Single Shots OK For Dangerous Game?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted
Would you use a single shot rifle on grizzly, buffalo, or any other for of a big mean stompin' thing that could quickly change your additude about doing so? By the way this would be using the same calibers as you would use ina bolt gun, double, or whatever type of repeater you hunt with.

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Alberta John>
posted
not in this lifetime..i kinda like it here and would like to stay around as long as possible

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
If the range was long, and you were good, I suppose...otherwise OUCH!

For me, I'd use the action I'm most comfy wiht anyway, a bolt gun

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<awknod>
posted
I shot a falling block for a long time and you can reload them pretty fast if you practice, not quite as fast as a bolt and not nearly as sure (you can drop the cartridge) but pretty fast.carry your ammo on your wrist or the butt of the rifle.
To answer the question,the answer is Yes.
I asked a guide once if he could shoot from his horse? His repy was
"I can get one good shot"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Ruger #1 in 416 Rigby to take Grizzly bear. 4 shots in under 30 seconds. The bear was dead with the first round but didn't know it.

http://perfectunion.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1243

------------------
AlleninAlaska

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote