THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    We had horse shot this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We had horse shot this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just found out that my father-in-law had one of his prize horses shot within the last two days. Looks like the "trophy" hunter made a great one shot kill right behind the shoulder.
This incident occurred between late dusk on Tuesday the 16th and the late afternoon of Thursday the 18th. It happened on the cutoff road that connects the Taylor Mountain road and the Wolverine Canyon road in Bingham County Idaho, Hunting Unit 69.

If anyone has any information on this crime, please p.m. me so that we can get some resolution on this.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
A guy a couple of miles from me had 3 shot last summer, one was an Arabian stud worth some $$$, It has been getting bad here with all the dregs of humanity coming in for the work, deer and goats have been shot all summer long just for the "thrill"

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to here about your father-in-law's horse. I had my favorite horse shot by a hunter when I was younger and it took a while for me to get over it. Sure did miss that horse. I still would like to catch somebody doing something like that. lefty

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have been pretty lucky around here, no horses or cattle shot during hunting seasons on dad's ranch. When I was a kid someone did shoot one of dad's cows and take one hind quarter one winter. I don't think I ever seen my dad so mad. I think that if they had been desperate for food dad would have gave them some choice beef from the freezer to help them out if they had asked. Never did find out who shot the cow, hope you have better luck finding your horse killer.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I may just be a naive city slicker, but I have trouble even wrapping my head around anyone (perhaps barring some blind drunk schnook) even beginning to have a problem determining that cattle or a horse is not a deer/elk/moose. I'd be more inclined to believe that they're cases of a ground axe, or for some kind of sickening prank/thrill kill. Am I crazy? In any event, sorry for the horse, and its owner. thumbdown

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
That's the main reason that all ranches and farms have 'NO HUNTING" signs posted. It's because of some ass-hole who totes a gun and may or may not have a hunting license in his pocket. They have absolutely no respect for somebody's property nor the the livestock on it. It used to be you could go up on a piece of property, knock on the door and ask for permission to go on the property and maybe hunt. Nowadays, don't bother, no way HOSAY. Frankly, I don't blame them at all.

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I may just be a naive city slicker, but I have trouble even wrapping my head around anyone (perhaps barring some blind drunk schnook) even beginning to have a problem determining that cattle or a horse is not a deer/elk/moose.

I believe it. There are some REALLY STUPID people out there.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need to modify/revise our livestock crime laws back to the 1880's. Just a short drop for these criminal bastards. Matter-of-fact, for ALL criminals!!!!!

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
The worst thing (not taking anything away from the man who lost his horse) is that this crime will be blamed on "hunters" -- those are not hunters, they are slime -- criminals.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475Guy1:
That's the main reason that all ranches and farms have 'NO HUNTING" signs posted. It's because of some ass-hole who totes a gun and may or may not have a hunting license in his pocket. They have absolutely no respect for somebody's property nor the the livestock on it. It used to be you could go up on a piece of property, knock on the door and ask for permission to go on the property and maybe hunt. Nowadays, don't bother, no way HOSAY. Frankly, I don't blame them at all.
That is part of the reason so many have "outfittered up" around here, the other is the $$$

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 20 October 2007 08:13 Hide Post
I may just be a naive city slicker, but I have trouble even wrapping my head around anyone (perhaps barring some blind drunk schnook) even beginning to have a problem determining that cattle or a horse is not a deer/elk/moose. I'd be more inclined to believe that they're cases of a ground axe, or for some kind of sickening prank/thrill kill. Am I crazy? In any event, sorry for the horse, and its owner.

KG

It could have been something done out of spite, or it could have been done by someone that wanted to kill an elk/deer/moose/bear, whatever so bad, that they got to believing that everything they saw was a game animal.

I don't know how much I buy into the concept, but from some research I have seen, some folks will get so caught up in believing that they are seeing what they are hunting, that they have shot horses/cows/donkeys/other hunters etc.

They hear or see movement and are wanting to kill something so bad that subcoscienously convince themselves that they are actually looking at a deer or elk.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We've had some horses shot here too, in rural areas where I live.

I have never thought this was done by hunters, but just mean-spirited animals with guns.

They caught one guy last year...some teenagers driving by with a rifle in the car.
The shooter was convicted, but I felt he needed a longer jail term.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
it is beyond me why anyone would shoot a horse.

i've heard stories in the past, or read them, where hunters would ask permission to hunt a given property. the owner would decline for safety reasons of his livestock. so the hunters would shoot a horse or cattle anyway because they were told they couldn't hunt.

i don't get that mentality.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I have seen this happen a time or two. A neighbor growing up seem to always have a cow or two get shot every deer season. Sometimes the shooter manned up and told him, most times not.

If they admited to doing it, he would usually sell them the meat for the price he would get for it, and then help them get the cowed processed.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and concern. We haven't turned up anything but a bullet, but sooner or later someone will open their mouth and if enough people know about it we can get the sorry sacks.

Thanks.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari:

You may be just a "naive city slicker" but this New Yorker also has trouble understanding how turkey hunters shoot each other -and, of course, the deer hunters in the Northeast every now and then do the same. So I say nothing about shooting horses.

P.S. Congrats on the Bosox sweeping the Series. ( migod! You people will be completely unsufferable next year!) Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago here in MT we had a LLAMA shot and TAGGED as an elk. The guy even took it to the processing plant not knowing it wasn't a cow elk.

Several years ago a logger was burning piles of slash in a clearing. He was setting fire to a pile as large as a once car garage by setting small fires with diesel fuel. While standing on top of a burning pile, carrying a YELLOW can of fuel he was shot through the hips by a guy from out of State with a 45-70....who thought he was a MOOSE!!

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NEJack:
Sadly, I have seen this happen a time or two. A neighbor growing up seem to always have a cow or two get shot every deer season. Sometimes the shooter manned up and told him, most times not.

Still the preferable alternative than shooting other hunters or, I would say even worse, hikers or just plain people taking a walk.

We had one heroic guy over here some years ago who shot 5 (!) ponies in the early morning dawn, thinking he'd encountered a bunch of wild pigs. He said he'd wondered that the did not run away so he continued firing...

During hunting classes they try to teach us time and again, "you don't know it, you don't shoot it", doesn't work on all occasions...

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I met a fellow in Ennis a couple of weeks ago who swears that he personally saw a mule tagged as a moose in the back of an out-of-stater's pickup. The man had dressed the mule, loaded it, and drove it to the processor, who was good friends with this gentleman I was talking with. This was either 2 or 3 yrs ago, I can't remember. He was called to take a look at it, and swore that he actually laid eyes on the spectacle. Personally, I doubted the verocity of such stories, but I guess I was wrong. There have also supposedly been a couple of horses shot out from under hunters locally in the last few years, but I cannot confirm this.

I found two moose (cow and calf) killed just off a mnt road in the gravellys year before last (Johnny Ridge Road). The cow was 30yd from the road, the calf about 70. Tracks in the snow showed where a small pickup had backed up to the cow, lots of tracks around it, then drove away. The fools must have imagined that they could lift it into the truck and drive off, whole without even gutting the animal. She was still warm when I found her--wish I could have found the culprit.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm gonna get trashed again for this one!!

A lot of these stories about "city slickers" shooting farm animals and taking them to the processor are myths plain and simple.

I also think that people get so frustrated hunting and not finding game animals that they "just want to shoot something" and unfortunately livestock pay the price. I bet if more no hunting signs came downand land owners started treating hunters with some respect hunters would do the same in return. I wonder how many of these animals that get shot are standing on prime hunting areas with no hunting signs.

There should be more taught in the hunter training courses on the aspects of hunter/landowner relationships and we could eliminate some of this bullshit on both sides.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in Montana:
A couple of years ago here in MT we had a LLAMA shot and TAGGED as an elk. The guy even took it to the processing plant not knowing it wasn't a cow elk.

chef - i agree with your post above but the quote above is true - it was widely verified when i was living southeast of great falls. as i recall, the "hunter" in question was an airman at malmstrom afb who was from back east. he was fined etc. for the mistake.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gerrys375:
Kamo Gari:

You may be just a "naive city slicker" but this New Yorker also has trouble understanding how turkey hunters shoot each other -and, of course, the deer hunters in the Northeast every now and then do the same. So I say nothing about shooting horses.

P.S. Congrats on the Bosox sweeping the Series. ( migod! You people will be completely unsufferable next year!) Smiler

Hiya Gerry,

The turkeys actually make more sense to me. I've read and been told by F&G folks locally that accidental turkey hunter shootings commonly result from hunters stalking, and shooting decoys. Unfortunately, the decoy owner is calling, sitting, hidden and heavily camoflaged, and takes pellets aimed at Mr. Plastic Turkey. This is why in some states, stalking turkeys is illegal (MA is not one of them). Still, shockingly bad judgment displayed by the shooters.

As far as the Sox, it wasn't much of a series, what with the shellacking CO got for most of it, but I somehow managed to still enjoy it. Smiler
If only now A-Rod stays away, I'll be a good lad and try to go easy with the salt for you New York boys and your leaky wounds. Wink

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:

As far as the Sox, it wasn't much of a series, what with the shellacking CO got for most of it, but I somehow managed to still enjoy it. Smiler
If only now A-Rod stays away, I'll be a good lad and try to go easy with the salt for you New York boys and your leaky wounds. Wink

KG

+1 Wink clap

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.snopes.com/critters/mishaps/hunters.asp

Read all the way to the bottom.

The llama story is real.

Tnomen

Posts: 33 | Location: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote