New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Bear (photo)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's a photo of the bear that I took last week while in the very pleasant company of Mike Dettorre and Mark6.5x55. This hunt was a great time for all I think even though this was the only bear taken during the week. We had pretty much every bait getting hit every night but the unusually high temperatures had apparently made the bears totally nocturnal.
<br />
<br />This bear came in fairly early in the day however (about 6:30 PM) and cautiously approached the bait while about 20 feet to my right and slightly behind me. As usual, he was completely silent and I had to strain to keep from turning my head to look at him once I caught a glimpse. I watched him out of the corner of my eye for a few minutes as he slowly moved into better view. Eventually (when his head was turned) I subtly and as silently as possible released the safety from my .416 Rem Mag Model 70 Winchester. Not surprisingly, since the bear was all of 30 feet away at this point, he still heard this and stopped in his tracks trying to hear or smell any secondary indications that things just weren't right. I waited a few minutes to raise my rifle until he was again moving toward the bait and behind a substantial piece of brush. I am positive he still heard or even saw this as he came around the brush looking in my general direction but was again unable to verify that something was really not as it should be (Don't believe anyone who tells you that bears can't see well). When he was clear of the brush I placed my post reticle behind his shoulder and fired, successfully placing a 400 grain Hornady solid through both of his lungs. He quickly ran straight to my left and into some thick brush behind the bait. This was followed by a few moments of crashing around and some rather creepy death groans. I waited patienltly for 10 minutes or so, left the stand, and followed what little blood trail was available. It led 30 yards to a very dead bear in what was clearly a very comfortable daytime bear hang-out. There was fresh bear dung everywhere and I have no doubt that the animal had actually started out to my left but had circled behind me completely in a long trip to the bait. These bears in Central Idaho are damn smart and are very hip to the plan. Had I been forced to scratch my nose, not been wearing scent-lok clothing, not showered that day, or accidentally made the stand creak at an inappropriate moment, I have no doubt that this bear would have been history. Many special thanks to Mike Dettorre and Mark6.5x55 for their assistance in skinning and butchering the next day. These are a great pair of guys to hunt with. I would have happily given up my chance at a succesful hunt to improve their chances at one but they never once uttered a word of frustration and hunted hard for five days. For those of you who hunt in stands, you know that several hours a day can test even the most dedicated hunters' patience. Mike, see you in Egypt. Mark, see you in South Dakota!
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Best,
<br />
<br />JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
John-Congradulations.To bad we couldn't have met.Idaho is whatever you make of it and Bears are smart fella's.I have several freinds who argue the best bait and it appears the smoked is best but some would argue.

Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, Nice bear. It looks like I will be hunting with Lawrence along with several of my buddies this Sept again. I think I will use my 450/400 Double Rifle. I shot my 9,3 so much in Africa the bbls are still hot.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I shot my 9,3 so much in Africa the bbls are still hot.

So I see! Congrats on that! Looks like you had a great time with HHK! Just a word of advice ... since Lawrence is selling the outfit you might make sure he is still going to be camp manager for the time you book during the fall . . . just so you know who you are really dealing with.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote