Find
Notify
Tools

Fate of the WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
With the loss of Winchester, what do you guys believe will happen to the WSM's? Will the other rifle manufacacturers that chamber for the cartridge allow them to survive or will they die off? Just curious.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
They're fine, Savage and Remington sell them as well as some boutique makers, Kimber, etc.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a sure bet that the .270 & .300 WSM are here to stay. The jury is still out on the 7mm. I think that the .325 may catch on with a small but solid following.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning is still there supporting the WSM. They are here to stay. The SAUM is still on life supports I think.

Posts: 13816 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Doesn't an individual hold the patent on the short magnum design rounds. I heard at DSC that person was suing everyone who used the cartridge design in their rifles and ammo.. from Winchester to Remington to custom guys like Brown Precision and others..

Pretty sad if that's the reason Winchester is going under... probably not.. but it will be interesting to see how this plays out if it's true. I agree inventors/designers/patent holders deserve to get compensated, but how would you determine how many more rifles were sold just because of the short mag design vs. older cartridges.. hard to say

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
If anything he deserves royalties for all rifles and ammo sold.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
WSM's are here to stay there are too many companies chambering and making ammo, but I can't see Remington being able to keep SAUM's alive by themselves. My 2 cents.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote