New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Vanguard hunk of junk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 from walmart.Its already rusted and broken before I shot it.The bolt stop spring is broken and wont stop the bolt.I have cleaned this thing three times with breakfree and its still rusting.I have two Weatherby Accumarks that I love in 338-378.I wonder if its just the walmart guns or all of them.I noticed quite a few others I have seen did the same thing after I had bought this one.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I bought one from Walmart a month or so ago and it's been excellent. Had it out shooting twice and it's around an inch with factory loads. The fit and finish on mine is very good for the price. I haven't heard anything bad about these guns, they're made by Howa, as they have been for many years, and evryone seems to think they are pretty decent values.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ruttinbuck
posted Hide Post
I had a vanguard stainless in 30-06 in my hands yesterday.I just about took it home but at 2 days and counting the wife recoil factor was too high and it will wait until January.The rifle felt good,I don't own any weatherbys,so I can't compare.But for $750 canadian I thought it was a great deal.One question:the barrel was snug in the barrel channel all the way down.Do these rifles have a pressure point for accuracy,can the barrels be floated?
Thanks RB

Posts: 95 | Location: interior BC | Registered: 07 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dgr - I've had a Vanguard Classic II for 12 years without any problem with rust, reliability, or accuracy. I suspect your gun was subject to poor storage by Wal Mart or sold to Wal Mart as a second or overstock (they're pretty hard on their distributors on pricing). I've looked at several examples in our gun store and others, and all specimens are better or on par with their competition. Compared to a Howa (made by the same company), the Vanguard usually has a smoother functioning bolt and has better wood and metal fit. Personally, I'd send it back to Weatherby; for, I would expect them to make good on a fine product. Riley

Posts: 32 | Location: MO | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
why didn't you return the rifle upon inspection????

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a troll to me.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruttinbuck, I hope someone here can answer your question about free floating the barrel because I've noticed the same thing. The trigger on mine was awful when I bought it home. Lot's of creep. I sent it back to Weatherby and they adjusted it, but it still was pretty bad. The owner's manual tells you not to adjust the screw in the back of the trigger, the one that sets the sear engagement, but I finally did and I would consider the trigger decent, but not great.
I've been averaging close to 1.25" groups with hand loads. I had hoped for better, but I'm really just getting started. Still, I've read where some people have gotten groups of less than 1" with factory loads.

Posts: 66 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 and love it, dropped a 5X5 bull elk this fall in Colorado, wonderful trigger, I do have a aftermarket stock and is metal bedded and my barrel is free floated, will keep 10 shots in 5 inch group at 200 yards. The bull I shot was at 169 yards and it dropped like a bad habit. I send the rifle back to Weatherby, something wrong someplace. I didn't get mine at Wal-Mart, but my gun dealer.

dbuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
My own howa made rifle,a smith&wesson 1500 varmint(same as the vanguard but with a different name stamped on the receiver),was the most accurate factory rifle that I have ever owned.It consistantly averaged 1/2" with handloads.I paid $330 Canadian for the rifle when the local dealer sold off his stock after Smith&Wesson stopped selling these rifles.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McInnis
I tend to think most manuf. do not freefloat and if they do they usually let you know about it as one of its selling features.
Myself I always freefloat my rifles in med. to lite calibres particularly if they are Wood stocked and not Laminate or synthetic.
My experience in BC with the extremes of weather and having had some serious point of impact changes cured me quick. To me its a reliability issue as well as a accuracy enhancer.
Its pretty easy to do yourself, just relieve the bbl channel enuf to get a dollar bill to slide down the channel from forearm tip to within a couple of inches of the reciever ring. Afterwards be sure to seal the wood you removed with some kind of sealer from your local gunshop. If your not too handy then a gunsmith could do it for you.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm so in a laminate you don't need to free float the Barrel channel Channel

Posts: 28 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area California United states | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hmmm so in a laminate you don't need to free float the Barrel channel Channel

Laminates are much more stable than a normal wood stock but they are not as stable as a high quality synthetic stock.Even many synthetic stocks have the barrel free floated.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I finally got back on.I bought the Weatherby Vanguard from Walmart on clearence for $250.I thought it was a good deal.I played with it a while but didnt shoot it.I took it out to show my brother and the bolt stop had broken before I shot it.I cleaned it with breakfree also and it even rusted then.I have never had a gun rust with breakfree.I am having Walmart send it back to Weatherby for repair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vanguards are a great buy for the money in my opinion. For the average joe who hunts only now & then, a big investment is not practical. I have an old S&W 1500 in 7mm Rem Mag that performs great for a cheap rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Vanguard in 7mm rem, I bought used about 10 years ago. I have never had a moments regret in buying it. It is one of the old walnut and blue models, from the bolt side you would be hard pressed to tell it from a Mark V ( says Vanguard on the other side ).

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should have sent it back to Weatherby immediately. I have a Vanguard in 300 Wby Mag that I bought used. I had it on a cull hunt last week where it rained all day on Wed. It is now Sat. and I still don't see any rust. I just took it out of the case where it has been for the last 24 hours and haven't cleaned it or wiped it down. No sign of rust anywhere.

As far as accuracy, it is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. It shoots MOA or better with Federal Premium ammo. I haven't tried Weatherby ammo yet. It's too expensive. I plan to work up some handloads this summer but I doubt I'll be able to improve much on the accuracy. Mainly hoping to match it and cut cost a little.

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Why would any body shop at a Wal Mart in the first place? They are a total scum bag business.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Loco Engineer,

Quality response for your first post here!!
Lighten up & use more fiber guy.
Mike

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Walmart send it back to weatherby.It would not stop rusting even with breakfree.I have never had a gun rust with breakfree.The bolt stop would not work and the bolt would fall right out when you opened the gun.Walmart buys truck loads of these guns and sells them for $388.The clearenced off all the 270s and 30-06 for $250 .There was one store which had them down to $175.I just bought it as an extra gun for someone to use or just keep in the truck.I dont think it could make it in the truck it would rust shut.The Ruger Stainless model 77 is way more gun than this jap made thing.It may look like a Weatherby but it sure aint made like one.