New
Find
Notify
Tools

1x Scope Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone here used a fixed-power 1x scope (or a variable set to 1x) other than a Scout scope? If so, what was it and how did you like it? What do you think of it as a dangerous game sight? Thanks in advance, Okie John.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
There is absolutly no magnification. You would probably be able to aquire a target (Dangerous Game)much faster w/ open sights.

I would suggest a 2.5X at the lowest.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You would probably be able to aquire a target (Dangerous Game)much faster w/ open sights.

Reloader

I disagree. The single aiming reference point of the crosshairs against the animal's vitals are quicker.

Think of it this way:

Crosshairs--vitals--boom

Rear sight--front sight--vitals--front sight--boom

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lowest power scope I have is a 1.5 Weaver. It is quick, much quicker than iron sights. A 1x would not be much different, but since the field of view with even a 2x (conventional, not "scout") is so large, there is really no reason not to have at least a little magnification. That said, there is nothing wrong with a non-magnifying scope.

BTW: Conventional open sights are the slowest of all sights since the eye has to focus on and align objects in three planes: Rear sight, front sight, target. Aperture rear sights are faster, since the eye only has to focus on the front sight and target (the eye doesn't actually focus on the rear sight, only peer through the aperture). A scope is the fastest of all since there is nothing to focus, just place the crosshair on the target.

Of course, if a scope is mounted so that your eye doesn't naturally align with the sight picture when the gun is shouldered or if the scope is poorly focused for your eye, then those shortcomings have to be corrected. You'd be surprised at the number of shooters who "don't like scopes" but don't understand why: Because of improper (usually too high) mounting and poor focusing.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only problem I have with 1x scopes is that they are really .75x scopes. Every one I have ever looked through makes the objects appear more distant.
I have a 2.5x Leupold with a heavy German post reticle on my .416 and love it.

Best,

johnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Funny how that is true? I have a Weaver in 1x3 on my Whelen, and on it's lowest power, things DO look smaller.

As far as fast, I would prefer the scope. The only thing faster would be shotgun sights (i.e. no rear sight and a perfect fitting stock). FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't you read the warning on the side of those 1X scopes John, "Caution, objects viewed through this scope are larger (ie CLOSER) than they appear!".

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I have a sightron 1x on my muzzleloader as it is the only thing allowed here in utah. It does kinda clean up the image and the thing it does best for me is sight picture, If you don't line your head up exactly the same you will be off with iron sights, we all know this can change depending on shooting posisistion and while hunting we may need to do something very quickly. This has been my experience. the 1x scope eliminates this as a variable. I am wanting to try a red dot scope soon to see if I like it better, I may be able to be talked out of my scope if the price is right.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 1-4x20 on my 375 H&H. I like it for my moose hunting, often done in heavily wooded areas. I wouldn't have the same use for the scope if it was for example a 2-7.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I disagree. The single aiming reference point of the crosshairs against the animal's vitals are quicker.

George, The problem is the 1X scope make the image smaller so, open sights would be alot better.

Now, If we are talkin' 2-3X scopes thats a different story.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Okie John, I'm pretty sure all the "Red Dot" scopes I've used have been 1x or close enough to it that I didn't notice it being different. Never had one of my own, but have shot the ones that buddies had.

A couple were on some shotguns they were setting up for Turkey Hunting, but the stock was set-up for irons. So, your cheek was a bit high with the Red Dot sight which helped magnify the felt recoil.

And I've shot at least 2 revolvers and 1 pistol with the Red Dots. They did fine on the handguns. I never put one on any of mine because of the bulk.

As for using a 1x scope on Dangerous Game, I've no experience at all there. Some of the folks on the African Board might though.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader and Stonecreek, I�m talking about shots so close that you want things to look smaller � feet, not yards. Last summer I was hunting feral cattle and got ankle-deep in piglets. I could hear the sow pop her jaws but I couldn�t see her. A long shot would have been about twice the length of my rifle.

George, that�s what I was thinking. What did you use for the buff?

I finally have a rifle that fits me well, and I don�t want to jump between scope and irons because of the different heights. That cost me a superb blacktail buck in 2002. I trained with a scope, but used a peep the last morning and missed at 20 yards. Muscle memory took over and I shot over his back. Of course I did it in front of a guy I can normally outshoot in my sleep, and he will tell that story until he dies. I laugh along with everyone else, but only on the outside.

I�m considering a Leupold 1-4 with a coarse plex. What do you guys think?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2.5 leupolds on a few of my rifles and there supurb....much quicker than irons IMHO. I also shoot a 1-4 leupold on my .375 and that is good to. The leupold 2.5x comapct is one tough scope.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Haven't you read the warning on the side of those 1X scopes John, "Caution, objects viewed through this scope are larger (ie CLOSER) than they appear!".

Chuck

Haven't seen that warning on a scope but the mirrors on my bedroom ceiling display a similar caution.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
okie:
Will try this again. The last time, I got a message that there was server work being done so my post wasn't entered.
I use a Leupold 1.5 - 5x on my .338 mag. This rifle is my moose & elk rifle for Afognak Island. When traipsing through the thick stuff on Afognak, the scope is always set to the lowest power. I can assure everyone that you want a low power setting in this situation should you run across a bear. I also have open sights on all of my hunting rifles for use as a backup should something happen to the scope. Why more hunters don't have a set of open sights on their rifles as backup is beyond me. In short, the scope allows for much faster target acquistion even in close quarters. Just my opinion FWIW. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote