New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lubbock TX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at a possible move to Lubbock for work. What can you tell me about the area and hunting opportunities? I figure I'll have to do some sort of lease.

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I used to live there. Call me and I'll tell you about it. There are some good areas north and east of there for whitetail. There are also some nice mule deer but they have been hammered in places.

Lubbock has good people but I would keep looking for a job in CO if it were me Big Grin

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lubbock is just temporary until I get enough seniority to move back up. I started a new job in February but work has slowed down enough to where I can't keep steady work. Right now Lubbock is looking like the best place to move where I can still come back to hunt Colorado on a regular basis. With 9 PP for elk and moose and I'm not giving up my residency.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Lubock is okay, but as Drummond stated, get back to Colorado A.S.A.P.

There is hunting avail.able but as you mentioned it will be on leases and depending on the location they will be pricey and game quality and quantity are both a concern.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to law school at Texas Tech in the mid nineties (GUNS UP!). Lots and lots of sandhill cranes. Pretty good, dove, pheasant, goose and duck hunting.

I never had a problem getting permission to put crane decoys out in a field at no charge.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never had a problem getting permission to put crane decoys out in a field at no charge.

I think you will/would find things have changed quite a bit since the 90's. Crane hunting is becoming a big business in the Panhandle.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Chad I know two guys that lived in Skeelytown tx and went to Texas tech is that the same city?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
It's a college town, so you know what goes with that.

I gotta make a trip to Lubbock in 3 weeks!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ye, it is a College town, but it is in a fairly rural area of the state, and it is in Texas, so things are different.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Ye, it is a College town, but it is in a fairly rural area of the state, and it is in Texas, so things are different.

Different? There are some beautiful women in Lubbock! I was single part of the time I was there and it was a target rich environment

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yes Texas is different

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Don't leave home without WD40. Dust storm, lock full of dirt - no getty inny.

Yes beautiful women, but hey, it's in Texas!

I love Texas, but that landscape gives me the willies; all those cotton fields as far as the eye can see (and for several hours driving). Even in its natural state, it scared the hell out of the US calvary when they saw it for the first time, chasing Comanches.
Whenever I pass a little house up there, out in the middle of a 1000 acre cotton patch, I always think of what my grandfather would say when he'd pass the same type of place - "Must be true love!"

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:
Don't leave home without WD40. Dust storm, lock full of dirt - no getty inny.

Yes beautiful women, but hey, it's in Texas!

I love Texas, but that landscape gives me the willies; all those cotton fields as far as the eye can see (and for several hours driving). Even in its natural state, it scared the hell out of the US calvary when they saw it for the first time, chasing Comanches.
Whenever I pass a little house up there, out in the middle of a 1000 acre cotton patch, I always think of what my grandfather would say when he'd pass the same type of place - "Must be true love!"

Well sounds like where I grew up dry land farming and ranching in SE Colorado.

posted Hide Post
Crane hunting is the best in the world just West of Lubbock.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I grew up 2 hr south of Lubbock..we also had a ranch about 1 hr south..in Post off the Cap Rock..Everything gets dusty!!!! Its the reason I went to school at A&M!!! West Texans are some of the greatest folks in the whole world though..you will enjoy your time there.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lived in Lubbock and Plainview.
Wonderful pheasant and goose hunting. The whitetails are starting up fairly well in the area. Snyder has some good, fairly priced, leases for deer.
Up off the caprock, they have both whitetails and mule deer, quail, turkeys and hogs. Silverton, Turkey, Quitaque, Flomot.
Get used to the wind and dust.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are here long enough get the life time license.
Even if you move later it's still good.
Our lease is south of the towns mentioned above.
Whitetail deer have moved farther west in the last 20 years.
In some places they have moved in with mule deer and hogs man they have been doing their best to tear up anything,just because it's there.
Lots of dove and some quail in places,as was said cranes as well as turkey and prairie chickens.
And varmints all over the place.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of hunting to do near Lubbock (within a couple hours). Big Muleys, Whitetail, of course Hogs and some of the best Predators hunting. Dont forget to put in for the TPWD draw hunts too.

Good luck on the move.

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/

Posts: 439 | Location: El Paso/ Far West Texas | Registered: 20 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quick access to some of the best waterfowl hunting in the country

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted sandhill crane but I have eaten them several times.

They are really good. We all them ribeye in the sky. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good mulies up north at Canyon. Aoudad in Palo Verde and Caprock Canyon.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHAT EVER you do, do NOT become a Texas Tech fan....just sayin.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Down here in Lubbock for another day before I head back to Colorado. It is flat, about like where I grew up and the people are friendly. Housing is cheap and if I can keep my family living together down here all will be good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, that is about as good advice as tellin g someone moving into a jewish or muslim community to start up a hog farm.

Seems to me that when your moving into a new town, a college town at that, the last thing you want to do is alienate people over a damn football team.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazy,
It is excellent advice. If you have to suffer the indignity of living in Lubbock, the last thing you want to do is get sucked into being a fan of the school with the states highest STD rates....again, just sayin'.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
highest STD rates....

Jusst because the bait is dangling that don't mean a person has to sample it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:

Hey ryan-

moon

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
Crazy,
It is excellent advice. If you have to suffer the indignity of living in Lubbock, the last thing you want to do is get sucked into being a fan of the school with the states highest STD rates....again, just sayin'.

What happened--your Tech girl friend kick you out?

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok, ok, ok... I'll back off of the 3rd wheel, often forgotten about school on the worlds ugliest campus.

My appologies.