THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    New Rule on Guns in Parks Takes Effect February 22

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Rule on Guns in Parks Takes Effect February 22
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
New Rule on Guns in Parks Takes Effect February 22

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

On February 22, a new law on guns in national parks takes effect. The law repeals a National Park Service rule that has long prohibited Americans from lawfully possessing firearms in national parks for self-defense.

The new law, passed last spring by an overwhelming bipartisan vote in the U.S. Senate, will allow people to possess, carry and transport firearms in national parks, in accordance with state law.

However, many details remain to be worked out. Reports indicate that National Park Service officials are debating issues such as the definition of “federal facilities,” where firearms will remain prohibited under a different federal law.

NPS officials are expected to issue further information as February 22 approaches, and some parks have already published information on their new policies. Because state laws vary greatly, before you visit a national park, you should check the park’s website or call the park headquarters for more information. NRA will also provide updates as they become available.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a great win for us the pro firearms folks.

Also inclues National wildlife refuges.

I saw in the news that the libs in the state of Maine are trying to pass a law to ban fire arms in their NP's .

Posts: 19601 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The handgun issue never concerned me, what bothered me was going through the park, and having your hunting rifle. It all depended on who was manning the entrance on how much you were going to be hassled.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course I defend the Second Ammendment but I am distrustful as to how the Feds deal with this issue in our (1)National Parks, (2)National Monuments (3)National Recreation Areas, and (4)National Wildlife Refuges.

I wonder out loud if this isn't a case of should have left well enough alone.

Don't expect to walk into the visitor center at Old Faithful packing heat, where it is more likely to be needed than less congested areas.
What about the cafeteria at Old Faithful Inn or the hotel lobby at Paradise Inn, Mount Ranier?

I seriously doubt that anyone was considering the right to carry being extended to backpackers and day hikers in the back country. So, if I kill a deranged ax murderer 17 miles from the road, I'm not prosecuted, right? But if I in perceived or genuine self defense, perforate a grizzly in the Many Glacier valley, an alligator along the slough of Shark River in the Everglades, I will be in deep shit. How 'bout I kill every damn one of those Everglades pythons that I find slithering around the sawgrass?

Ten or twenty years ago if a criminal threatened me or my family, I would take action any place that the threat occurred. It won't change or make me feel better on February 22.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yellowstone:
Of course I defend the Second Ammendment but I am distrustful as to how the Feds deal with this issue in our (1)National Parks, (2)National Monuments (3)National Recreation Areas, and (4)National Wildlife Refuges.

I seriously doubt that anyone was considering the right to carry being extended to backpackers and day hikers in the back country.

I think that yellowstone is right to question how exactly this is going to play out.

I for one am personally very happy about this.
I can guarantee you we will be armed while guiding clients camping and hiking in the backcountry of Katmai NP. It has been kind of silly in the past to ask us not too when we are camping in places where we see 5-10 brown bears in camp per day and clients see over 100 bears on a good day of wildlife viewing.

The bigger problem I see is that you can't manage the entire national park system exactly the same. I really wish that the park service would figure this out. I mean seriously what do all these parks have in common...
1-Appomattox Court House National Historical Park - Appomattox, VA
2-Central High School National Historic Site - Little Rock, AR
3-Yosemite National Park - the Sierra Nevada, CA
4-Agate Fossil Beds National Monument - Harrison, NE
5-Katmai National Park & Preserve - King Salmon, AK

But yet they all have to follow the same park service game plan.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Service Announces Firearms Rule Change for Possession in National Wildlife Refuges

News Releases Home Page

Search the News Releases
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Home

Contacts
Vanessa Kauffman
703-358-2138
vanessa_kauffman@fws.gov

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service today announced that effective February 22, 2010, the rules governing possession of firearms on National Wildlife Refuges will change as a result of legislation enacted by Congress. After this date, the law allows an individual to lawfully possess a firearm within the boundaries of a National Wildlife Refuge in accordance with federal, state and local firearms laws.

As directed by this new law, the Service will look to the laws of the state and locality in which the refuge or refuge unit is located to govern possession of firearms on the refuge. Visitors will be allowed to possess firearms on National Wildlife Refuges provided they comply with applicable provisions of federal, state and local law. Persons with so-called firearm "carry" permits will be able to possess firearms on a refuge in accordance with the provisions of the state issued permit. The new law applies to all 551 units of the National Wildlife Refuge System, as well as the National Monuments and the 392 units of the National Park System.

While the law will change the application of rules regarding possession of firearms, it has no impact on the authorized uses of firearms on National Wildlife Refuges. The law does not allow visitors to fire or discharge the firearms in any way, brandish the weapon in the view of others, or any other use of the firearm. Enforcement of regulations concerning firearms use remains under the purview of the Department of the Interior.

While possession on a refuge may generally be allowed under state law, possession of firearms will remain prohibited in Federal facilities. Examples include: visitor centers, refuge administrative office buildings, refuge maintenance offices and workshops, field and backcountry offices, ranger stations and fee collection stations.

Refuge visitors wishing to possess firearms on any unit of the National Wildlife Refuge System should carefully read and understand the laws of the state in which the refuge they plan to visit is located -- as well as applicable local and county laws and ordinances that derive from that respective state's law. The laws of the states in which they reside, or from which they may have received firearms permits, do not apply when they are away from those states, although some states offer reciprocity and allow possession based on another state's permits.

Hunting, trapping and fishing are considered to be a legitimate, traditional recreational and wildlife management use of renewable natural resources on refuges. However, this new law does not change or expand hunting opportunities on national wildlife refuges or exempt hunters from state or federal hunting regulations.

Each person who hunts on a National Wildlife Refuge must have the required state license(s) required by the refuge, as well as any permits and/or user fees. The National Wildlife Refuge System Act of 1966, other laws and the Fish and Wildlife Service's policy permit hunting on a refuge when it is compatible with the purposes for which the refuge was established and acquired. For additional information, go to: http://www.fws.gov/refuges/hunting/.

The law does not differentiate between concealed handguns under state permit and long guns (rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders) and it applies to all firearms, which are defined as a weapon designed to fire a projectile by the use of an explosive charge. All Federal firearms statutes remain unchanged.

Nearly 40 million people visit National Wildlife Refuges each year, generating almost $1.7 billion in sales for regional economies. In additional to wildlife observation, many refuges provide rich opportunities for hiking, canoeing, hunting and fishing. To learn more about visiting a National Wildlife Refuge go to: http://www.fws.gov/refuges/visitors/.

The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. We are both a leader and trusted partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for our scientific excellence, stewardship of lands and natural resources, dedicated professionals and commitment to public service. For more information on our work and the people who make it happen, visit www.fws.gov.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"So called carry permits??!" Lady thats exactly what they are whether you personally agree with it or not.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post Tony,
So far so good in accordance witht the USFWS. I certainly don't know, but I don't really expect to see any big changes rippling through the bureacracy of the Dept of Interior, but I think it wise to be vigilant of "metaphoric" loose cannons weilding power from behind their desks, simply because they can.

I also don't know the percentage, but the vast majority of employees within the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service do not hunt or shoot. Just an observation, and it's almost assurred that the same would apply to the Dept of Agriculture Forest Service.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the vast majority of employees within the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service do not hunt or shoot. Just an observation, and it's almost assurred that the same would apply to the Dept of Agriculture Forest Service.

It also applies to some State Game Depts. I have a friend who works for the Nebraska G&P, he told me last year they polled employees to see how many partook in hunting,fishing, trapping etc; in Ne. It was less than 50%. It surprised me.