New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black bear in Colorado?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am headed to Colorado for a DIY elkhunt in October and want to bug an over the counter bear tag.
I'll be hunting in unit 77, which is in the southwest of the state, near Pagosa Springs.
I have done plenty of research for the elk part of the hunt, while we are also after mule deer, the bear is not much of a priority but I figure it is worth having the tag in cas we come across one.
Can anybody tell me what the bear population is like there?
Do I need to take precautions with my camp as well?
Thanks.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
What season are you hunting? Also how high? I hunt 75 over by Durango----I've not seen a bear in the 1st rifle season in 25 years----we are hunting at timberline. Most bears seem to be after acorns in the fall. Never had problems wwith them in camp either. Keep a clean camp & we'll be fine. As far as buying a tag---I'd probably pass. CB

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go by the rule –

If you buy a bear tag you will not see one. If you don’t buy a bear tag, you’ll probably see one everyday…

beer

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
If your a non resident I dont think I would bother because of price, bears are scarce after september, from all the archery, and muzzlestuffers trapesing through the woods, unless like CB says if there are a bunch of acorns in your area, you could have a chance at one early morning or almost dark.

ca safari hunter has it dead on, this happens to me every time I have a tag or dont have a tag, maybe not everyday but at least one bear. But I dont think so this year I have enough points and know where the bears are at this time of year and they are always there all day long, so as long as I draw i should have a colorado bear finally, but we will see I am sure something will happen

I personaly keep a messy camp hoping to entice bears in but still nothing, except one year we almost got a fine for a messy camp, BLM officer told us we were bear bait, we all had bear tags and thought thats a good thing. Problem the bears will come in at night but still never had a problem even in areas thick with bears, they are just to damn scared come rifle season.

good luck on elk, bear you need an act of god in colorado or just pure luck

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote