Find
Notify
Tools

ovis, the flood?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ovis,
I sure hope you and family are'nt swimming. Have you weathered the first stage of the flood?
mark

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Bearhunt'r,

Thanks for asking! Wednesday night(last)I heard the bridge below us go. We already had water in the yard, but the debris and the bridge parts blocked the river and the river really started coming up so we left. They evacuated everyone else a couple hours later. I used to have a big slow "S" bend behind the cabin, but now, I have a long straightaway down to where the bridge used to be. The whole river bottom is changed and I don't mean just a little bit. It's still raining and the river is trying to come up again. My cabin is built on pilings, floor is five feet off the ground, so the cabin is fine. It's just that, usually, by now, I've really gotten into the steelhead. All of the holes are gone. Other then that, everything is OK. A week ago Monday, my wife and I ate at Sal's. First time I've gotten up that way in a while. I'll give you a holler some time. Give me an Email sometime and I get you some pictures of the Brooks Range hunt from this year.

With all this rain, I guess I got the Zodiac just in time.

Joe

posted Hide Post
Joe,
It sounds pretty bad there. Be very careful, my friend!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Nickudu,

Thanks for the thoughts. Living in a river bottom in Alaska is different everyday and conditions, such as we have now, are just part of the deal. Although a bit inconvenient now, in a week or so, a thirty five inch wild Alaskan steelhead will make these wild, wet days just another interesting memory. After all, that's what life is all about, eh?

Joe

posted Hide Post
Right you are, Joe. I just hope those big fish with the steel heads don't smash into your cabin pilings! Oh, and be extra careful with that
"ZODIAC" thing, the LA police say they can be real killers! [Wink]

BTW, I'd like to see some of your Brooks Range photos, too. Take Care ... N

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick you are too cleaver!
Good Luck Joe. Stay safe!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ovis,
I'm happy to hear that you are not affected in a worse way! [Big Grin] Hang on, this one coming in is another stinker. If you need anything, call me. I manage the local rental store in Kenai. I can be reached anytime. Sorry to hear about the personal fishing hole! My past experience is that it won't take long to have new ones form. Think positive...the "honey hole" will be better than ever!
best,
mark

p.s. I still plan to head down at a certain point... and yes, I would love to see the pics!
take care...

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickudu:
I just hope those big fish with the steel heads don't smash into your cabin pilings! [Wink]

Nickudu,
"You a funny guy!" [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
But seriously folks, these Alaska fish are BIG!!!!! [Eek!] [Wink]

best,
bhtr