Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting In Iceland
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To Any of our Icelandic Brethern:

I saw some great pictures of animals taken on Iceland.

Never thought of hunting Iceland although have always had the desire to visit it.

Since Canada is now so Anti Gun, I have given up wanting to go to Quebec and Newfoundland to Hunt caribou and bear. ( I still love all of You Albertans tho!!)

What kind of game is available?
Is your government "User Friendly" to people coming there to hunt? Even if we are Americans ( since the world seems so Anti American anymore)
I'll skip my political views on that.
Is it affordable? or has Iceland got like the rest of the world and gone nuts with milking non resident hunters for all they can, turning hunting as a sport only for the real rich?

would love any feedback.!!

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
I never hunted in Iceland, but I saw many articles about the hunt in this country.
You can hunt the reindeers, the gooses, the ptarmigans... I have the impression the hunt is quite expensive.
An outifitter for iceland is Carlo Rizzini: rizzini@eircom.net

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graci!(sp??) Mario

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi.
Most of the hunting in Iceland is fowl, but you can also hunt reindeer and fox.
Reindeer season is from 1st agust to 15th september.
Price is probably a bit higher than in canada.
The following link is a list of reindeer guides that you can email.
http://www.hreindyr.is/islenska/leidsogumenn.html

Also some official sites.
http://www.hreindyr.is
http://www.east.is/

Posts: 35 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
trg,

Thanks, I'll be sure to call Bjork to get a translation of the outfitter sites. [Big Grin] [Wink]
August is perfect for me, but are none of these outfitter sites in english?

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can anybody tell me who I should contact for an arctic fox hunt in Iceland?

Does anyone run hunts for them?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
http://www.hreindyr.is/
It�s in English
If any of you are planning a hunt in Iceland drop my a line and I will help you .
And Joe like I told you last autumn the artic fox is all over Iceland and I have shot them both with a shotgun and a riffle and if you should come here I will lend you a gun for the foxhunt. The best way to hunt them is over bait in the night, so I would have to know your time schedule in advance for the bait to be set out.
If any of you are coming her this summer let my know and lets meet for a beer or samthing.
S�lvi

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Solvi, good to hear from you mate, it's been a while since I saw you around here.

I am wondering do the arctic fox shed their coat in summer? I would still very much like to visit Iceland, hopefully I can organize myself better this year. [Big Grin]

How did your reindeer hunt go last autmn?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Solvi,

Thanks! I must get up there one of these day for the hunting . . . and the women! [Big Grin]

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
The artic fox is brown in the summertime and most hunters prefer to hunt them in the winter for the white skin. A lot of them stay brown all year round.
Last autumn was great and I have got conformation that I can shoot a bull this year to.
The season will start on the 20 of July so maybe I combine summer Holliday and the hunt in one
[Cool] [Smile] [Big Grin]
Right now I am just waiting for the 1. Of July when we start to hunt or maybe rather snatch the Puffin. It�s only done in July and is a lot of fun; we use a long pole with a net on the end and catch them in flight.
S�lvi

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote