THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Idaho cougar hunt and hopefully pics.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho cougar hunt and hopefully pics.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dec.3rd was the second day of our cougar hunt with Selkirk Outfitters. Bruce Duncan our guide found a good track early in the AM and we put the dogs on it about 10 AM. within an hour the cat was treed and we only had about a 1/4 mile hike to get to the tree.

The cougar had got himself way up in a tree in a relative jungle and it took quite awhile to find an opening for a shot. Eventually we found an opening about 4" across and clear all the way to the cat's heart. One shot from my old 1925 vintage 32 Special did the deed and the cougar was dead when he hit the ground.

After skinning and photos we walked out but at a different angle than we had gone in. About 75 yd. from where we shot the cat we ran into lots of his tracks and there under a tree was this boomer whitetail that he had killed. This was an added bonus to the hunt and eventually the deer will be mounted with the whitetail.

Mr. Duncan runs a first class operation in all respects and has such a high regard for his area and his ability that if you fail to get your cougar in 10 days you can return free. Tough to beat that.

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice cat.
1925 32 Special.... Class Act.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
Nice indeed thanks for sharing , maybe someday when enough people are attacked or worse kill , I'll get a cat here . Would'nt mind doin it the way you did .32 WIN SP and dogs . Thanks Again , Clint

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful cougar. Thanks so much for the story and photo. I hope you plan to eat the meat. I got my first (and so far only) cougar in Feb of 2002 and it made for some awesome breakfast sausage. The gravy over biscuits or taters is delicious. My buddy called mine in. I would love to do a hound hunt though someday. Does Selkirk Outfitters have a website or other contact info? Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Shooten cast boolit?

Regardless, nice cougar.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine got one several years ago. He made "Finger Steaks" of most of it and they were GREAT!!

I really like the sweet, almost white meat. Not at ALL like chicken.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to answer a couple of questions for you. We did eat the tenderloins which I sauteed in olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. Just wonderful when done medium rare.

Since I still live in bush Alaska it isn't really practical for me to pack home from the lower 48 a lot of meat so we left it. I certainly would retrieve the whole carcass if I got another one after I move to Wyoming.

I didn't use cast bullets since the W-W factory stuff with 170gr. soft points shoots nicely in my old gun. Actually the soft points were just the ticket since they didn't exit but just destoyed the chest cavity.

Bruce won't be available until after cougar hunting in Feb. He and I may be doing some business so if you are interested in his operation call or e-mail me.

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote