THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Best Military Iron Sights for Hunting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Military Iron Sights for Hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
I first started to put this in Lorens post but on second thought I'll just spin off of it since a lot of folks started their hunting careers with a military surplus rifle. We would all pretty much agree that the M1 Garand sight system is the best ever devised for military use, which system suits you best for hunting .

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For hunting, or any purpose, the aperature sight serves me best of any iron sight. The worst, IMHO, is the Mauser 98 type. Those tiny sights are almost invisible in dim light, and I have trouble using them.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best military iron sight for hunting is the one that has been removed and replaced with a Leupold.

Failing that, the aperture that was stock on the old Lee-Enfield I had when I was a kid was pretty good. The Mauser, as referenced earlier, is a real challenge. I killed my first deer 37 years ago with an 8 x 57 Mauser 98, and after 8 shots the deer and a bullet finally collided with one another. Which was at fault, I'm still not sure.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Ashley Ootdoors makes an excellent ghost ring system.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

<Lars G>
posted
In regard to the Ashley Ghost Ring. This is a good aperture sight system and I ALMOST got one. Here's what I ended up doing: Put on a Williams fire sight (day glo fiber optic) front bead, then bought a Williams "Foolproof" receiver on the rear. All you have to do is back out the screw-in aperture and you are left with a ghost ring.

<Loren>
posted
The only military sights I've used (on rifle) are those on the M-16. They were adequate, and far better than any open sights I've used.

For hunting, assuming the gun was up to it, the M-16 sights would be good for deer sized game to about 175 yards, and elk to 200.