Find
Notify
Tools

Crazy Mountain Goat Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all,

I just got home from a Crazy Mountain Goat hunt. It was a wonderful and beautiful hunt.

My brother in law and I flew into Bozeman last Thurs. We stayed with family and woke up on Friday to a haze across the Gallatin Valley from the fires. From Belgrade you couldn't see the Bridgers.

We met the Outfitter at the Clyde Park Tavern with a trailer full of horses for our hunt. Friday was filled with fitting saddles, sighting in rifles and a steak dinner.

Saturday morning we left camp for the ride up into the Crazies. The weather was perfect and the scenery was spectacular. The Crazies were more rugged than I had imagined. It was evident as well that they were exceptionally dry.

We made camp around 9000 feet in a small high pasture after crossing a 1/2 mile of rockslides and shale. Leading horses across that area was something that adds to the adventure and I will always remember.

We watched a Nanny and kid dance on the cliffs right from camp. Watching the kids play amongst the rocks I just struggled with is truely humbling and impressive. We saw another group of 7 nannies and kids and tried to put a stalk on them but they got nervous and moved to higher ground. We went to bed watching another group of 7 nannies and kids.

In the morning we went after the group of 7 nnanies and kids we had seen the previous night. After hiking a mile across rockslides we watched the ease into the next basin and knew we would never catch them. We stopped to take a break and saw a billy watching us from the cliff above the bowl we were in. He was 800 yards away watching us. The decision was made to stalk this goat. The billy saw us the entire time. My hunting partner and guide thought that the goat would stay because he felt like he had the upper hand, which in fact, he did have. We stalked within 350 yards when another goat stood up which looked larger. I went the last 5 yards to a rock, threw down my pack, leaned tmy 270 across my pack and found him in the scope. I shot and heard the 130 gr Accubond hit and the goat went stiff legged. I hit him again and he just stood there. Just as I was about to shoot again, he lunged but didn't have any power and fell into a rock slide. As we heard the rocks fall, we waited for a rolling goat to exit the chute and hit the bottom but it never happened. He was hung up in the cliffs. The only option was to go get him. We used toe holds to climb up to him. It was something my wife and mother would have been very angry to see me do.

When we reached him, I couldn't have been happier. He was a beautiful goat and in great shape. He had fallen about 20 yards after the final shot but hadn't broken anything up and was on a little bench that was perfect for skinning him.

The game fish biologist has him aged at 8-9 years old and the horns were 9 5/8" with 5 1/2" bases. His hair was very good for this early in the season. It was a wonderful adventure and I have memories to last a lifetime.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I was in Big Sky two weeks ago and the smoke was incredible! glad you were able to see and stalk. great goat!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on an excellent hunt.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Congrats, One of North Americas best trophies in my opinion.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Very well done sir. You have one of North America's finest trophies there.

Just look at the pictures of the mountain tops from camp. That's a loong way up to where the goats live.

Thank you for posting. On a side note, THANK YOU for bringing this forum back to zero - posting a hunting report.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful goat, they are a great, well-earned trophy!

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool! Congratulations!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Awesome job.
I leave sunday for my goat hunt.
Congrats again.
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the kind words. Here are a few more pictures.

This was the view down from the chute we had to climb up. I haven't shown this one to my wife yet. Wink

I carried the pack with the meat and my guide carried the goat cape down.

A picture of my brother in law and I after we got the goat down from the cliff. We could finally relax. It is exhausting when you have to concentrate on every step and the weight on your shoulders make going down more difficult.

I found it interesting all the time the biologist go through to age and measure the goats. She could have been a B&C scorer.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats!! that is some of the most rugged country in north america.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt
Weary but unhurt
Those are the Good Ones

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful goat and report! Thanks.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Congrats on a great hunt.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and pix. As was mentioned previously, thanks for a true hunt report.

Having just got back from a hunt three weeks ago, your photos and report makes me want to take off tomorrow.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys!! I am going to try to only make quality posts.

ddj

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super Hunt!!!!!!! tu2

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt! Thanks for not injecting any effeminate drama.. getting pretty tired of that sort of thing.. Les

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice goat. I wish I had enough stamina to do a mountain goat.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 48 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 08 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trouthunterdj:
Thanks Guys!! I am going to try to only make quality posts.

ddj

Well you certainly hit a homer on this one.

Best

Gwb

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt and story!

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Excellent story and pictures.

Question: How did you know that the mountain goat was crazy? ("Crazy. Mountain Goat. Hunt?")

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I should have said Crazy Mountains, Goat Hunt.

ddj

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful goat and a great hunt. Sure would like to draw a tag for one of those one day

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. That goat looks to be almost the twin to the one I took in Colorado in 2001. Mine was 9 1/8 and 8 7/8 and was a 6 year old billy. That's about as good as goats get in Colorado.

Goats are a fun and fairly difficult hunt. I don't know if I have another one in my future since my 50th birthday is around the corner. But I enjoyed it when I did it. Have you tried the meat? I cut the backstraps and loins into steaks and made jerky and sausage out of the rest. It wasn't prime venison but it wasn't bad either.

Pirate

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's a proper trophy taken in fine territory - congratulations!!! tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt! Thanks for sharing!

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great goat and overall hunt. I'll be going along on my friends goat hunt next weekend in Utah. No horses, and the Country doesn't look as tough as where you were, but maybe more than enough for this old guy. Again great job.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a well earned trophy!!!

Just last week I helped a buddy fill his tag here in CO. His goat was at about 13K feet. Certainly is something to be said about hunting the high country.

Congrats again!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote