New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf season in Wis.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
half of the harvest zones are closed as today 4 days after season started.

But we don't have enough wolves. Just the fact that we have met or exceeded the harvest goals in just 4 days.

Tells me the population is a lot larger then the DNR says.

I know several people who were going to start trapping this week well to late for them.

A neighbor lost his dog two nights ago a pair of wolves came into his yard and attacked his lab. The dog had to be put down.

I had more pictures of wolves on my trail cams two nights ago.

Rant off.

Posts: 19436 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time for a new season and definitely a new quota.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Wolves Suck!!!!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do to political BS are wolf season is done for the year.

The DNR well never admit that they made a mistake on the numbers.

No take action this year to correct it. If we are lucky they well increase permits for next year.

When your management plans are more a result of political pressure then science.

Things tend to get screwed up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So since when did anyone in northern WI need a tag for a wolf????SmilerWink

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1175 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
So since when did anyone in northern WI need a tag for a wolf????SmilerWink

You do if you ever plan to have one hanging on the wall. As much as I dislike the the DNR right now, the only thing that will help bring in more tags is compliance to the law. Advocating poaching to others, on-line or elsewhere, does nothing to help sell wolf hunting to the public. Also, keep in mind that the state has a total predator problem, not just wolves. I just talked to a guy today that lives adjacent to the area that I trap in. I ran into him as he was coming to hunt grouse. I warned him about the traps in the area and what to do in the off chance one of his dogs get caught. The man actually thanked me for trapping the area. He complained that for fear of loosing another hunting dog, he cant let his dog out at night.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That reply was more tongue in cheek and while I don't condone that behavior, I certainly understand it in the eyes of locals that live with them in their area. As far as predators, agreed. I'm SE of you about an hour and a half and we have more coyotes than ever. Turkey numbers are down, but I think that has more to do with some really shitty springs and a few rough ice storms late in winter. We do have a few wolves just north in Neceedah and Ft McCoy area, well a pretty good population actually, and a loner shows up south of there now and then but they don't seem to stick around much. I trapped a lot years ago and just don't have the time lately and miss it. Really enjoyed coyote trapping, but now do a little coyote calling in the winter. The wolf issue is pretty polarizing and the hunt will never be approved by many, but I think many see the need for it. Just as many feel the need to reduce the population much more than what the current structure allows also...I'm probably in that camp although I don't see the effects of it in my immediate area.

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Expect things to get worse if Mary(Bleeding heart)Burk is elected governor.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
That reply was more tongue in cheek and while I don't condone that behavior, I certainly understand it in the eyes of locals that live with them in their area. As far as predators, agreed. I'm SE of you about an hour and a half and we have more coyotes than ever. Turkey numbers are down, but I think that has more to do with some really shitty springs and a few rough ice storms late in winter. We do have a few wolves just north in Neceedah and Ft McCoy area, well a pretty good population actually, and a loner shows up south of there now and then but they don't seem to stick around much. I trapped a lot years ago and just don't have the time lately and miss it. Really enjoyed coyote trapping, but now do a little coyote calling in the winter. The wolf issue is pretty polarizing and the hunt will never be approved by many, but I think many see the need for it. Just as many feel the need to reduce the population much more than what the current structure allows also...I'm probably in that camp although I don't see the effects of it in my immediate area.

Matt:
Sorry if I came out a bit strong, I got that your comment was suppose to be taken sarcastically. I agree with you 100%. I guess I am just a bit frustrated with how the resources are being managed in this state. For instance, wolf populations are expanding, yet they cut 100 tags from last year. The DNR complains that coyote populations are about 4x what they would like it to be, yet wont open it to trapping year round. They realize predation to the deer population has been on the rise but still let hunters take does at will. Now the north is absolutely buck only. That is to say if you can find much state land that hasn't been logged off all to hell. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is to say if you can find much state land that hasn't been logged off all to hell. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

We could use more logging up north many square miles of NF hasn't been logged for decades.

Due to law suits by the anti's Well managed logging and clear cuts are a boom to wild life.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I grew up hunting in NE WI (N of Crandon) in the Nicolet NF. I never thought of clearcuts as a bad thing, within a few years it was a grouse and deer mecca that lasted for a good 15 years or more with thick poplar thickets that held food and cover... Come think of it, I'm kind of fond of clearcutting and used the same tactic on some land I owned in southern WI that generated great forage and cover. Selective cutting just doesn't seem to offer a chance for re-generation as the canopy still shades any new growth out.

Matt