New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Are you ready for Deer Season?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You are right, I cannot complain much. It looked like I would not get to go at all there for a while. Sort of hate to miss it for all the obvious reasons. Plus my dad and I and a couple of friends have been going to the same place every year for over 30 years straight, a tradition I guess.

In regards to the antelope hunt I will be taking a 25-06 loaded with 100 grain Nosler partitions at around 3400 fps.
I think the 25-06 is just about ideal antelope medicine.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... how do you hunt your deer...from a stand? ...

Hey rwj, I do understand about your being prepared for the Brown Bears when hunting the Blacktails. That would certainly be a priority for me during the firearm selection process. I've used a lot of "Light for Deer" cartridges while testing bullets, but much prefer Heavy for Game cartridges.

Those Caribou sound interesting as well. I can see where it would be a lot more work involved after the shot than we have on our typically small Southeast Whitetails.

Yes, I do a whole lot of Stand Hunting, but also Still Hunt and run a few Dogs(used to run in my youth, but do good to walk real fast through the Briers now days) on occasion. Basically I'm for any method of Hunting that is Legal.

I've never killed a thing with a Bow or Black Powder, but can see where that would extend the Season in some places to allow more actual Hunting time afield.

I do approach the Stand Hunting with a bit more effort than some people give the Stands credit for. When I'm afield during the Off-Season, I'm focused on determining Movement Patterns - where Deer typically enter a field(or woods) and where they don't. Also look for the previous years Rubs, water and dense areas suitable for bedding. Combine that with typical westerly wind, direction of the sun rises and sun sets to select a general area for a new Stand.

Then the "exact tree" selection process begins. Here is where having a buddy or two to discuss the placement really helps retain focus on which one would be the "best". Depending on the tree, we might use a Climber early on, or we might put up a Temporary light-weight steel Ladder Stand. From these we will do some Scouting and early Season Hunting. And from that we might end up needing to slightly face that Stand in a different direction or change to a different tree 6 feet away.

Once we believe it has some real potential, then a Permanent Ladder Stand or Tower Stand goes into that spot. Limb and brush trimming is carefully and selectively done so as not to totally disrupt the location if the Season is in. During the Off-Season, we might cut trails and shooting lanes for the Deer to walk that places them where we want them. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

So, we actually Stand Hunt all year long. Some of the year is "hunting" for new Stand locations and some of it is spent Hunting from the Stand.

Best of luck to you!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote