New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Performance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm hoping some of you have put some deer down using the newer bonded bullets from Swift(scirocco), Nosler(accubond) and Hornady(interbond). I shot a big Canadian deer this year using a 7mm Dakota and Swift scirocco 150 gr bullets. The deer was running a doe in the bush and I shot it high in the shoulder, approximately 50 to 60 yards away. It dropped the deer. The deer got up a few minutes later running/staggereing quartering away.I shot it again in the ribs putting the deer down for good. Both bullets literally exploded on contact. The entrance holes were both approximately 1 1/2" in diameter. No exaggeration!! The first bullet did exit with approximately a 3/4" diameter hole.

The question is, would I have been better off with Nosler accubonds 7mm 160gr or Hornady interbonds 139gr or 154gr bullets? The Swift sciroccos do shoot very accurate from my rifle. Normally I don't get shots this close. All replies are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stubblejumper you around?

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
og, I didn't tag anything w/ my 7mmDakota this year, but my wet pack tests show the Nosler 160grAB to be a bit tougher than the Swift, about like a partition but a bit more exp. The bullet does not come apart. I'll stick to partitions in my 7mm Dakota though, w/ that much vel. I want some controlled expansion.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one is easy, too much velocity for too weak a bullet. Dont care what it is bonded with or to, The "open" copper jacket cannot hold it together if impact is too fast and tissue is too tough. The closed jackets of the partition type bullets will keep the back 1/2 together, but the front 1/2 and more of your venison is history. The monos will hold together the best.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a witetail buck at 165 yards with a factory loaded .308 Hornady Interbond. It was quartering away. Tiny entrance wound, broke rib, broke spine, exited dime size hole through the nect on opposite side. deer dropped like a rock. Bullet performance couldnt have been netter. My bullet is going slower than yours though.

Posts: 168 | Location: georgia | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The results I've seen so far from another thread:

AccuBonds and RUMs accounted for three whitetails for our clan this year, two with the 225/338 and one with the 200/30. Not exactly a "tough" test for such big rounds but it did give a bit of useful info.

One was shot right through the lungs with the 225 from around 60 yards or so. It hit a rib going in and the entrance hole was big enough to take out not only that rib, but also a rib on each side. The exit hole was slightly larger. The deer dropped on the spot. This tells me they open very quickly and will do lots of damage with minimal resistance.

Another was facing and shot from below at very close range, probably less than 20 yards. The 225 entered about where the neck meets the chest, crunched about a foot and a half of spine before exiting the top of the back with a modest sized exit hole. So, it encountered about as much heavy bone as one can find in a whitetail at near muzzle velocity, held together and exited.

The one I took with the 200 was about 100 yards away and shot placement left a little to be desired (it was the first time in many years I have shot at a running animal). He was running full tilt, quartering away, I hit him in the spine just in front of the hindquarter. The bullet turned about 8" of spine into chunky soup before exiting the other side.

So, with three shots, three deer all dropped on the spot (well, mine did slide in the snow for about 10 feet ) and all bullets exited. You can't ask for much more than that, although anything less would have surprised me. Oh yeah, they're death on jackrabbits and porcupines too.

And they were accurate enough I could enjoy whacking my gong out to 800 yards after filling my tag. Pretty good all around performance, I'd say.

My dad got an elk with the 225 as well but it was a neck shot and not really a tough test for the bullet.

I don't have any experience with the smaller caliber ones.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really thought that the swift scirocco would be better than that. What about the a-frame? they might not have the ballistic's as the the scirocco but they should open up and hold some weight.

Posts: 48 | Location: Yukon | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This was my 4th season with the Scirocco (180s) out of my 300 Win....It was my last.

In this time I've taken an Elk & 6 deer on my annual western trips, so I feel like I gave them a fair trial. They have not cost me any game but have failed 3 times to quickly drop a well hit deer. This fall in SD on a standing broadside shot (120 yrds) through what should have been the lungs the bullet came apart at entry. I found fragments in the neck & deep in the guts. They shoot so well out of this rifle that I probably stuck with them longer than I should have.

I'm no expert but I think the velocity of the 300 Win, at least at shorter ranges is too much for this bullet.

Greg

Posts: 8 | Location: Orlando FL | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Accubond is clearly the superior bullet (to my standards) from what I have seen and read.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R-WEST.....a package is on the way

Why doesn't Nosler just construct a bullet with a tough polycarbonate tip on their Partition bullet. It would work. I'm dead serious. Think about it.

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Old, I think a plastic tipped partition would be great, but the bullet would be really long in the heavier weights. The 160grNAB is quite a bit longer than the partition. If they would go to a flat base it would be a bit shorter. I have found the 160gr/7mm to penetrate almost as well & hold a bit more weight than the partition.
The problem w/ the Swift is the jacket is a bit too ductile & allows too much expansion. I have seen recovered bullets that were almost turned inside out. Penetration has got to suffer. For 300 yds & beyond, the Swift is probably a winner. For magnum vel. under 150yds, stick to something w/ a partition (Nosler, Swift-A) or solid shank (Barnes, Northfork, Trophy bonded), yes even for deer size game. Ray A. has shot tons more game than I but I use the NP & have never had any problems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Other than the solid copper bullets all hunting bullets are constructed of a copper jacket and a lead core. The so called premium brand bullets only cost more and are subject to the same failures as the plain hunting bullets. The key to any hunting bulets peformance is bullet placement along with sound bullet construction. Plain hunting bullet are have millions of rounds of testing to perfect them and they work just as well as the so called better premium bullets. The premium bullet is a marketing ploy by the bullet maker to derive a higher profit margin from that so called premium bullet. The premium bullet is a mind set, rather than a documented fact that they work better. Your automobile will run just as well and as far on regular fuel as it will on high test fuel the only difference is the cost of that fuel per gallon.

Hunters who believe the premium hunting bullets perform better by virtue of price or better construction tend to take shots they shouldn't. They believe that bullet will perform so well they can take bad shots and that so called premium bullet will compensate for the bad shot taken. There are just as many game animals lost or wounded by premium bullets as the plain hunting bullet through bullet failure. Those premium bullet users will not tell you about the ones that got away because of poor shot placement or bullet failure.

In my view the premium bullet is no better than the plain hunting bullet, it only costs more. No game animal can survive a well placed plain copper jacketed lead core hunting bullet through the heart lung area. I have been hunting since age nine, am now 61 years old, have never fired a premium bullet through any of my hunting rifles. To date three game animals have been lost and it was not due to the bullets performance, it was operator error.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Reloader, I'll have to politely disagree. There is a marked diff. in bullets like the Nosler partition & a WW PP, WW Silvertip, Sierra GK, etc. I have never seen a partition explode or come apart. I have seen this w/ various cup/core bullets. If you hunt w/ a magnum driving "standard" bullets very fast & impact vel. is very high, you are asking for an eventual failure. Maybe not the 1st or 2nd, but it will happen, I've seen it. You are free to hunt w/ what you want, but I look @ a bullet like the NP & think of it as cheap insurance, not as a license to take "bad" shots, whatever that may mean to you. If it were all marketing hype, the so called premiums would have gone by the way side long ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OLD GUNS, I posted {{the Interbond and another mercy killing}} around Dec 13-2003 my 19th elk, this one I shot with the 139gr Interbond and a 7stw 3530av.fps. at 320 yards away. Hit it right behind the shoulder hitting a rib entering and leaving a lot less blood shot area than a 139 interlock and a smaller exit hole. In that topic that elk had a abscess between the 2 front legs. All the elk ran up the hill away from me and then stoped looking down on me. I could not see any thing wrong with the one I shot. I got another tag from the Game Warden cause he did not want to take a chance on eating it. Last night I went after another elk. They were laying in the snow and I tried to put on the sneak, but 1 seen me and they ran side ways from me. The gun did not go off, had the interbond shell in my pocket. I had for got to put it in the chamber. I have alway's been trying to get a decent body shot with the scirocco and that was in the magazine. Threw the bolt open and closed it and they were starting to walk by then. If they would have still been running I would have taken a body shot. Took another neck shot and #20 dropped. 5th elk with the scirocco and and 7 stw all neck shots. Sliver dollar exit holes, weather 200 to 420 yards. Wish the Interbond had been in there for that neck shot to see how it would have performed through the neck.

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Reloader66,

You need to get your nose out of the books and go kill some game and you'll quickly change your tune.

The Nosler Partition bullet kills game from any angle better than any plastic tipped bullet I've ever used. I have not yet tried the Nosler AccuBond but want to give them a fair try though.

I hunted with Core-Lokt, Power Point, Ballistic Tip and Hornady Spire Points. When I switched to Nosler Partitions about 15 years ago I knew I was onto something.

The other bullets usually killed my game but often made a mess of the meat or required a followup shot.

The Nosler Partitions always give "perfect" performance. They fully penetrate game and yet give enough expansion to provide enough shock and tissue destruction for very quick and humane kills.

I've killed 63 whitetails, 5 elk, 2 mulies, and too many hogs to count, have a pretty good idea of what it takes.

I've also been in on the cleaning of hundreds more deer in our deer camps and my experience with my deer seems to be universal.

They also open up on coyotes just fine and provide instant kills with little hide damage.

I'm sure that technology will one day replace the Nosler Partition but until then.... Make mine a Partition.

I just wish the lead tips didn't deform so badly from recoil in my magazines... <sigh>

btw... My favorite whitetail medicine for the last 8 years has been a 308 cartridge packed with 48.5gr of Rx 15 in front of a CCI LR primer and pushing a 150gr Nosler Partition. The travels at 2750ft from my Remington Model 7SS with 20" barrel and is particularly deadly on deer and hogs. <This may not be safe in your firearm and you should study and follow the advice in published loading manuals>

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

1. The so called premium brand bullets only cost more and are subject to the same failures as the plain hunting bullets.

2. Plain hunting bullet ...work just as well as the so called better premium bullets.

3. The premium bullet is a marketing ploy by the bullet maker to derive a higher profit margin.

4. The premium bullet is a mind set, rather than a documented fact that they work better.

(Separate Issue) Your automobile will run just as well and as far on regular fuel as it will on high test fuel .... Not if it has a High Compression Ratio - HC

5. ... the premium bullet is no better than the plain hunting bullet, it only costs more.

Needless to say, all the above Premium Bullet Bashing is Totally Wrong. But, a person who has a good bit of hunting experience with all kinds of bullets "might" take a few moments and wonder "WHY?" Reloader66 has been lead to those improper conclusions.

For that answer, we go back to Reloader66 as he provides the reason:

Quote:

I have been hunting since age nine, am now 61 years old, have never fired a premium bullet through any of my hunting rifles. ...

Absolutely nothing like making making a Totally Incorrect series of "assumptions" based on ZERO First Hand Experience. Must give him a pat-on-the-back though, for at least being open enough to explain why he dosen't know what he is talking about.

I really like Plain old bullets myself and use a lot of them. But, under the right set of hunting conditions, no Plain Bullet made can compare with the excellently designed and well thought out Premium Bullets. We are all very fortunate to have such a wide variety of Bullets available to us.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I just wish the lead tips didn't deform so badly from recoil in my magazines...

Hey LDHunter, Have you tried nipping/twisting/filing off that small piece of Lead Tip?

I tried doing it on Plain Old Bullets many years ago. Since it was gone, it couldn't get deformed in the magazine and I could Seat the Bullet out just a bit more to hit a better Harmonic.

Best of all, it didn't really make a bit of "useable" difference in Drop Rate until about 600yds. Even then, it was a simple matter to create an additional Drop Chart.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Hotcore,

To be honest with you I've never thought of removing the lead tip. I've just always put a fresh Partition with a good tip in the chamber and filled the magazine with flattened points with the logic that after the first shot (If I ever need a follow up) the deformed tip wouldn't matter.

One question.... Have you used the removed tip bullets often enough that you can be sure they will still feed properly in your rifle(s)?

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there is a good deal of truth in what reloader66 sez. The problems started when we decided that a 180gr bullet @ 2800fps wouldn't kill a deer. A 150g bullet (or smaller) @ 3500+ was needed. The bullet construction of that time wasn't up to it. Since then gains have been made on all fronts. Tho I still doubt a 150g core lokt would hold up to being launched at 3500fps at a solid target inside of 100yards or so.(BUT THEN I HAVE ZERO EXPERIENCE ABOUT THAT) This doesn't mean that a 150g core lokt is a bad bullet for the job it was intended, ie .308, 30-06, .300 savage use. And anyone that would use them in their "hot damn, boy howdey, look what I can do, loudenboomer is pretty stupid. By the same token, the window of performance for the "premium" bullets does not lend itself to its best performance in your more moderate rilfes. I base that on two, that's right only two occasions when a Grand Slam fired from a .300WM pencilled thru mule deer. It killed them quickly enough because I was aiming for the bullet path to kill the deer, not some sort of exotic performance on the part of the bullet. As a sidebar, a poster the other day asked about Grand Slams and I said I couldn't recommend them for white tails. Too hard.
Also, while a Nosler Partition is indeed a premium bullet, it has been around for a long time and has stood the test of time. And its cost is not really out of line considering the extra steps needed to make it. Its performance on game is the standard by which others are judged. I am given to understand however that it doesn't lend itself to hyper velocity use.
Finally, to really boil the pot, I would like to appreciate on one of reloader66's comments: I feel the loudenboomers topped with the godawful super powerful scopes, driving the premium bullets at warp speed encourage, in fact, beguile hunters into trying shoots they are not capable of making, at absurd distances beyond their ability, at angles that ensure failure. Then, since they cannot face their lack, its blamed on the bullet.
I read a lot. When I'm not hunting, I have my nose in a book as much as work and home permit. I take very little of what I read as an absolute but certainly use it as a knowledge base. I see no reason to constantly invent the wheel all by myself. When several accredited authors of say Aagaard's ilk, say the 8mm is a good deer rifle, I don't have to run out and buy one before I can believe it. The same is true about bullets. You don't have to shoot every bullet to know what works for you.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Other than the solid copper bullets all hunting bullets are constructed of a copper jacket and a lead core. The so called premium brand bullets only cost more and are subject to the same failures as the plain hunting bullets. The key to any hunting bulets peformance is bullet placement along with sound bullet construction. Plain hunting bullet are have millions of rounds of testing to perfect them and they work just as well as the so called better premium bullets. The premium bullet is a marketing ploy by the bullet maker to derive a higher profit margin from that so called premium bullet. The premium bullet is a mind set, rather than a documented fact that they work better. Your automobile will run just as well and as far on regular fuel as it will on high test fuel the only difference is the cost of that fuel per gallon.

Hunters who believe the premium hunting bullets perform better by virtue of price or better construction tend to take shots they shouldn't. They believe that bullet will perform so well they can take bad shots and that so called premium bullet will compensate for the bad shot taken. There are just as many game animals lost or wounded by premium bullets as the plain hunting bullet through bullet failure. Those premium bullet users will not tell you about the ones that got away because of poor shot placement or bullet failure.

In my view the premium bullet is no better than the plain hunting bullet, it only costs more. No game animal can survive a well placed plain copper jacketed lead core hunting bullet through the heart lung area. I have been hunting since age nine, am now 61 years old, have never fired a premium bullet through any of my hunting rifles. To date three game animals have been lost and it was not due to the bullets performance, it was operator error.

If you have never tried a premium bullet, how do you know this to be true?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... Have you used the removed tip bullets often enough that you can be sure they will still feed properly in your rifle(s)?

Hey LDHunter, Excellent question which has got me to thinking back. The first rifle I tried it on was (maybe) a 30-06 M70. Don't have any of those bullets left on the shelf cause they worked great and fed fine. I used Hornady, Nosler Solid Base, Sierra and Speer 165gr bullts in it, some with the tip removed and some as they were. May have used 400-600 "modified bullets" through it.

Next up was a 7mmRemMag M77 using 150gr Win Power Points. In fact, I still have some of these bullets. I plan to Hollow Point them when I get some time. They went from about 150gr to about 147gr by removing the tips. They always fed fine in it too. Probably only used 150-200 of the modified bullets in this rifle before I sold it.

Your "feed question" has got me to thinking back and I seem to remember both of those particular rifles would even feed "empty" cases from their magazines without jaming. So, perhaps they are not the best representatives.

Only way to know for sure is to try it in your own rifle(s). You can take a pair of Side Cutters and nip it off. Or grip the Tip and twist it slightly with the Side Cutters or a pair of pliers with serated ends. Twisting will often provide a very clean looking end with no additional dressing needed. But, you can also dress the end with a small file.

No need to do a bunch. Do just one on an already loaded cartridge and see if it will feed in your rifle. If it does, do 2 more. Put all 3 in your magazine and leave them in it while you fire 18-20 shots or so. Remove them and check them out. Then fire a group using your regular cartridges at what you consider a Long Distance. And another group with the 3 modified Bullets. You will see there is a bit more drop if you are way out there, otherwise it will not be noticable other than normal group dispersion. And they open just fine on game too.

Good luck with the tests.

one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
Just my 2 cents. The, what I call PLASTIC tip bullets, when fired out of magnum velocity rifles blow up on impact at the short ranges. I've only been reloading for about 8 years, so I probably can still learn a great deal, but I have 1st hand experience with the ballistic tip bullets. My brother and I go up to Canada every year in search of the GREAT WHITETAIL. He insists on shooting the 300win mag with 180 grain nosler ballistic tips that I have loaded to about 3000fps at the muzzle on my chronograph. These ballistic tip bullets explode on impact at ranges up to 100 yds. Yes they kill the huge 300lbs plus Canadian deer, but they do not drop them in their tracks and there have been times when recovery had to be left until the next day and you hope the wolves don't get to your venison. Now all these 300 yd plus shots taken at game in my opinion are uncalled for, I rather hunt closer than shoot farther. I, on the other hand shoot my plain old 30.06 with 180 grain Hornady interlocks that are about 7 years old and I have never seen a big Canadian whitetail go more than 35 yds after the old 30.06 barked, most just drop in their tracks. My brother calls it the "pancake" cause it just flattens them. After this years excursion my brother has decided to go with a different bullet. We're going to see if those old Hornady's will shoot 1/2 inch at 100 yds from the 300 mag like they do out of my 30.06. Now, before I started reloading I took many many deer with good old Remington core loct bullets with just a little less performance than my handloads in terms of terminal effect. A good bullet really does matter, and most will do the job effectively given good shot placement, but when it comes to shooting those plastic ballistic tips out of high velocity rifles at 100 yds and under it just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe those ballistic tips are better in rifles with less muzzle velocity?????

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PETEM--There are plastic tip bullets that are confusing to you it seem's. The Nos-Bal-tip is not a bonded bullet and will blow up at magnum speeds let alone you hit a solid bone, they will totally dicenergrate..Weather in the regular Nos-Bal-tip or the so called Nos-bal-tip hunting bullet. Not All Plastic tip bullets or poly tips will do that- Like the bonded bullets--Hornady Interbond-Scirocco--Accubond. I have shot the 139 gr hornady for 33 years in a 7 mag 3260av.fps before they even came out with the hornady interlock in 1980 or 81 and would use them before any of the Nos-Bal-tip for hunting. Have used the Scirocco and the Interbond at higher speeds in a 7stw. The Hornady interbond 139gr at 3530av.fps. Also that rem-corelokt will also blow to pices at magnum speeds. My friend used my stw loaded with a 140 rem-corelokt and hit the shoulder of an elk at 3530 muz vel, and at over 270yrds the bullet came still came completely apart inside the body cavityWink

one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
4bambam, I am really interested in the new Hornady interbond bullet and from what your telling me they won't explode like the Nosler balistic tips????

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

Thanks again... I'll give 'er a try....

$bob$

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Since Reloader66 doesn't care to further his dicussion, I'll speculate on his reasons for not trying premium bullets: he said he's never had a failure of a regular bullet. You can also read into his post that he picks his shots carefully.

I've read time and again, from some of the more experienced hunters on the planet, that if you use conventional bullets of high SD and keep the muzzle velocity low -- say under 2300 fps -- those bullets perform reliably.

If Reloader66 is using these bullets so and is taking the time to stalk for a nearly perfect shot, then he just has no need for a premium bullet.

For those that have to have 3000 fps in order to give their lightweight pills enough momentum to do the job, the literature is equally clear: use a premuium bullet such as the partition or the Barnes X.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Quote:"Other than the solid copper bullets all hunting bullets are constructed of a copper jacket and a lead core. The so called premium brand bullets only cost more and are subject to the same failures as the plain hunting bullets"

Can anybody out there besides Reloder 66 substantiate this statement with Swift A Frames, Bear Claws etc? The data and experiences I have seen and read about do not bear this out. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LD Hunter intersting that you think you know where my nose is at all times or how many game animals I have harvested. You sir have many more forays in the field to come close to my total so far. The deer harvested annualy in America is astonishing and of all those killed annualy you have accounted for 60 or 70 in your life time so far. That is supposed to make you an expert on bullet performance also astonishes me. Could be you and me don't know what we are talking about, you think that could be?

Your insignificant number of kills have no bearing on bullet performance when the total number of game animals taken annualy in the USA must be taken into account. The total number of so called premium bullets used to harvest all those game animals would not make flea on elephants ass. The vast majority of hunters rely on the least expensive ammo available to them, and still get the job done. Those less expensive reloads or factory ammo works perfectly for the use intended, harvest game animals cleanly and quickly. Glad your premium bullets do the job for you, I will continue to take my game with my quality made handloads using those plain jane hunting bullets at less cost per unit. It is certain your mind is made up, and at 61 my mind also is set in it's ways. My track record in the field harvesting game is excellent and it has all been done with the less expensive hunting bullets. Soon it will be spring Turkey season and my high brass #8 1/2 lead shot shells with luck and a good head shot will harvest another long bead. Until spring be safe, shoot straight, and always cherish the many wonders of nature as I do often.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader66,

For only 18 posts, your astonishing gift for pissing people off, that should be bottled and marketed.

I don't know what you know or care a whit what you shoot, but for someone who has never taken a head of game with a "premium controlled expansion" bullet, your opinion that they are "useless" is not only unsound, but very odd.

Further your premise of using only "quality handloads" with the cheapest bullets possible is an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

I notice you are from Ohio, which is a "shotgun" only state for deer? So where did the vast experience in killing game with non-premium rifle bullets come from?

You are 61, so you have hunted for say 50 years or so. So what's your bag total 100 or 150 deer. If 72 makes a man a amatuer, at what point are you an expert?

And the world is filled with game larger and tougher than deer.

The bottom line is that premiums are not necessary for deer, but their cost difference would not " make a flea on a elephant's ass", to coin a phrase.

Regards,

Bob

PS: only 53 years old, and only 107 head of BG taken. But those do include Elk, kudu and eland. And have used those wildly expensive bullets for 29 years!

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Well said Shadow.

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I have posted this picture before, but it might be worth posting it again.

These bullets are from left to right a 160 gr. failsafe, a 140 gr. Partition, a 200 gr. accubond, a 150 gr. scirocco, and a 140 gr. Failsafe.
They are all 7mm bullets except the accubond (.308).
The 160 failsafe and the partition were fired out of a 7mm STW, the accubond out of a 300 WBY, and the Scirocco out of a 7mm Mag., all at near max velocities into milk jugs of water. The 140 Failsafe was recoved from a huge 6x6 Elk, taken at near 400 yards (It lost less than 1 gr. of weight.
This photo shows a huge difference, even amoung the premiums.
As you can see, the scirocco almost turned itself inside out. I've been hoping that Swift would toughen up this bullet, but it doesn't appear they have. They may be accurate, but because of terminal performance, I don't like them.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I test all of the bullets I hunt w/ into wet phone books. I have many recovered bullets that vary quite abit. The "premiums" do indeed perform differently, better, it's up to the user. For my money, I like to match the bullet to the cartridge & type of hunting I'll be doing. The premiums allow me more flexability in shot presentation. I like that, because I travel to hunt so my time is important & often I get only one chance @ a shot. If "standard" bullets work for your style of hunting, great, but don't slam the guys who like to use something else, & it works for them so it may be "needed".

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
If it has thin to normal thickness of hide you use a Partition.

If it's a big ole thick skinned beastie you use a FailSafe.

If it's pokin' holes in paper you use either a MatchKing or a BallisticTip.

If it's a little furry thing you want to blow up you use either the VarmintBT or a regular BT.

I like BarnesX bullets- I think the concept is great they just don't like anything I put them in and they make a sloppy mess of my bores. I've never been able to get them to shoot- Shoot....

All the rest is BS!

If you put a PolycarboniteTip in a Partition it would end up blowing up just like the BT. You take the plastic tip out of any of them and they're still just a big open hollow point- say "SPLAT!"

Hey folks- this isn't rocket science....

PS> OldFart - Like your PIC! thanx...

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Capt. Jack,

"Hey folks- this isn't rocket science.... "

No doubt... Well put....

$bob$

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...This photo shows a huge difference, even amoung the premiums.
As you can see, the scirocco almost turned itself inside out. I've been hoping that Swift would toughen up this bullet, but it doesn't appear they have. They may be accurate, but because of terminal performance, I don't like them.

Absolutely excellent flick OldFart. It fully supports the statements above.

It seems a lof of folks improperly associate the "$Cost$" of the Bullet as the over-riding factor in calling them "Premium Bullets". It would be more appropriate for them to disassociate "Cost" and "Performance".

By any reasonable definition of a "Premium Bullet", the meaning when hunting is "Excellent On-Game Performance" when faced with tough-to-kill, thick-skinned, and big boned Game. Likewise, a person who considers it OK to take "Raking Shots"(gut shots) or shots at the "Wrong End"(aft 2/3) are much better armed with a serious Premium Performance Bullet.

I've never used a Scirocco, but from OldFart's flick it seems they are simply a more expensive bonded core Bullet, when compared to real Premium Performance Bullets. Over the past couple of years there have been a good many reports of "recovered" Sciroccos and they typically showed similar expansion and weight retention factors. Since Swift still makes the A-Frame, which is a real Premium Performance Bullet, the best use for the Sciroccos will be for lighter skinned Game - Deer, Pronghorns, etc. That doesn't mean they can't kill an Elk if placed so their Design Envelope works to it's best advantage, but there are much better "real Premium Bullets" for that task.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...Hey folks- this isn't rocket science....

Gotta agree since this is way more serious and important!< !--color-->

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its hard not to shoot a bullit when it is so accurate in your rifle. 140 sierra's are one holers in my 7 mag. I had a elk run off on me years ago. Shot it in the shoulder with the seirra's. Ended up chasing it all over. I only shoot nosler partitions now. They always do their job. Close or far.

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Since the original inquiry was regarding hunting deer at close range with a magnum class cartridge I will offer my experience this year with the intent of shedding some light on that inquiry.

This deer was shot with a .284" 154 grain Hornady Interbond from a 280 Rem AI. The range was about 100 yards and the estimated impact velocity was 2769 fps. This resulted in a complete pass through and a good wound channel. The animal dropped on the spot. I infer from this that the 154 grain Hornady Interbond would probably act differently than the 150 grain Scirocco and not exhibit the dramatic expansion of the Scirocco. The Hornady Interbond is very accurate in my rifle. For what its worth!

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Jack, nice buck. I like yuor signature, true, true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jackfish....thanks for your reply and getting this post back "on topic"....your velocity is lower from your rifle than mine...i will consider the 154grain Hornady Interbonds though

Congrats on a very nice deer!!

Thanks again