Find
Notify
Tools

Wild game can taste lousy...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
When badly overcooked. The following pics are not good examples of said overcooking. Smiler

At center stage last night was a loin from a sow I killed in S. FL a few weeks back. Marinated it for ~36 hours in lemon and lime zest, a little EVOO, some soy, fresh thyme and basil, and a bunch of garlic. Cooked on medium heat, basted frequently and checked for internal temp on the grill. Add sides of Chinese Winter 'shrooms and eggplant with ginger (also grilled), blanched and stir-fried baby bok choi and a batch of NH moose sausage stuffing with fresh apple and onion prepared in a muffin style. Top it off with a fifth of Ketel 1 out of the freezer and a couple bottles of shiraz. End result? C'est magnifique, vraiment.

Cheers,

L

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn that looks good. Makes the college food I am about to go get all the worse.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn that looks good! Thanks for the invite! Mad

My son shot a bison near Jackson last year, it was the most putred wild game I have eaten. Most was ground up for hamburger and even it was bad!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of a fine moose roast I cooked up a while ago. I find that the only way an animal tastes bad is if it is processed badly after the shot.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
Here is a pic of a fine moose roast I cooked up a while ago. I find that the only way an animal tastes bad is if it is processed badly after the shot.

Wow, beautiful job! I mostly agree with you WRT care corresponding directly with table quality, but I believe that there are some exceptions to the rule, i.e., some animals just flat-out don't eat as well as others. Diet, age, hormone levels, etc., do have the potential certainly to enhance or detract from meat quality. Easy analogy: ever eat a seaduck, or sawbill, maybe? Well, if not, I'm here to tell you that you can take one of those bad boys and try to work any kind of culinary magic tricks you might have up your sleeve, ad nauseum, but you won't convince me that they're tasty--even if tender loving care is used with birds bagged. I've tried about every way under the sun possible to make an eider palatable, but no banana. The only way that I've had them that doesn't make me pass out in gastrointestinal horror is with heavily seasoned jerky, or smoked first then made into something that passes (vaguely) as sausage.

Ungulates on the other hand, well, here's a quick image of what I think. Smiler Moose, WTD and antelope are all represented on the menu. Can't beat it.

Thanks for the responses, y'all.

KG

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it can, but if you take care of your game, and don't overcook it, game meat is usually excellent fare.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Agreed on all of the above!!

I have taken it as my missuion to convert as many non hunters to the joys of venison. When celebrating my engagement a couple of years ago I had 78 people over for a BBQ. We got through two and a half fallow bucks and most of the other meat was passed on. Heres a recipe I use on the back straps, or some very thinly sliced steaks, (about 3-4mm thick).

Mix up, Balsamic Vinegar (5tbsp), olive oil (5tbsp), 2TSP Garlic salt, pepper, teryaki sauce (3tbsp) and worcester Sauce 1tbsp). I tend to go heavier on the teryaki for the thin steaks, and sometimes and some fresh chilli and honey. Basically they get seared on a VERY hot grill for a minute or two max, then put into tortillias with hoummous and some tomato, mint and cabbage salad. great finger food for standing about in the garden drinking cold beer!!

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures as I was cooking for 6 hours solid!!

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ever eat a seaduck, or sawbill, maybe? Well, if not, I'm here to tell you that you can take one of those bad boys and try to work any kind of culinary magic tricks you might have up your sleeve,

That's why I feed them to the dogs. Literally. The dogs will love you and you don't worry about wasting the meat.

BTW, great pics of the menu. Looks dam good!

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures as I was cooking for 6 hours solid!!

FB

Mate, you did mean to say that yer wee wifie cooked for 6 hours solid, while you drank beer and supervised, right? Wink

KG

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I don't know how many times I discussed with people that there's no need to burn pork until it's dried out. As long as you hit 160 degrees internal temperature, you can happily eat nice juicy pork like you show above. Some people just don't get it though.

But now you've done it. I may have to smoke the little 25 pound piglet I have in the freezer this weekend...

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Suddenly I'm hungry, wonder how that happened Roll Eyes... Looks like excellent meals there guys... Now I have to go scrounge around for something to eat...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not surprising that wild game has a less than stellar rep.

For big game we tend to shoot old males often during low food quality times of the year and more often during the rut. surprise surprise.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
Damn that looks good! Thanks for the invite! Mad

My son shot a bison near Jackson last year, it was the most putred wild game I have eaten. Most was ground up for hamburger and even it was bad!

Really? Wow, that's surprising to me. I've had bison, and I love it. I've always heard that bison is excellent table fare in general as well. I had planned some day to shoot one for meat, but your post has given me a bit of pause. A bison's worth of bad meat would take a *really* long time to eat through...

Any other explanation for it being so bad?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wild game, most any kind, is ruined during the preparation for the table.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a package of Sable and a package of Kudu in the freezer that #1 son gave me several YEARS ago. It had been vacuum packed and was just like it came off of the animal when thawed. I made Carne Guisada today. I had eaten a package of Gemsbok he had given me at the same time and found it to be almost inedible (tough). I figured the Sable and Kudu would be more of the same. It wasn't! It made a great Carne Guisada and I think I'll go have another bowl.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Gari, that just looks wonderful!! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really? Wow, that's surprising to me. I've had bison, and I love it. I've always heard that bison is excellent table fare in general as well. I had planned some day to shoot one for meat, but your post has given me a bit of pause. A bison's worth of bad meat would take a *really* long time to eat through...

Any other explanation for it being so bad?

I am not sure, it was a 10+ year old bull. Might have been something to do with it. We shot two on a ranch and they were excellent fare, but the one he shot out of the park was pretty tuff to swallow and smell. Just a rangy old bull. We cut and quartered it at night, finished at 1:00 a.m., then spent the next morning finishing up and packing with ice for the trip home. So I blame age and sex.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:

You have any recipe details on the above??? Looks absolutely delicious.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KG

It is becoming obvious to me that you are a man of many talents and may even deserve the title of being a Renaissance man! Cool (I refrain from bestowing the title outright only because of your peculiar attachment to a ball club that plays its games in a stadium with something called the "Green Monster") OK,OK, that meat does looks good!

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have any recipe details on the above??? Looks absolutely delicious.

I didn't do anything fancy with it. Just seasoning salt, pepper, garlic, montreal steak spice, and sesame seeds. Then threw it in the oven for I think about 35 minutes at around 400. Sautee some mushrooms and steam some asparagus.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blackened moose steak is about as good as it gets.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gerrys375:
KG

It is becoming obvious to me that you are a man of many talents and may even deserve the title of being a Renaissance man! Cool (I refrain from bestowing the title outright only because of your peculiar attachment to a ball club that plays its games in a stadium with something called the "Green Monster") OK,OK, that meat does looks good!

'Renaissance man'? Quel horreur, mon ami!

I'm but a simple Masshole that likes good food, and enjoys it all the more when I am responsible for obtaining said groceries at the end of a stalk. Smiler

Honestly, for me hunting comes wonderfully full circle when I sit down and enjoy a great meal with friends and family that I have put on the table myself.

Thanks all for the replies. Oh, and Gerry, I will be thinking of you fondly when the BoSox make it an even 3 WS wins this season. Smiler

KG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inedible in the absolute sense....

Goose - any part at any time - barf!!

Sheep's liver see - previous line.

Sashimi of Mackerel - horrible indeed.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote