Find
Notify
Tools

My first long range hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I made my fist first long range shot with some coaching from a long range shooter at Arrow 5 Outfitters on their PLM doe hunt.

598 yards prone with a 30-378 Weatherby, 180 grn accubond @ 3300 fps. Weatherby Mark V fibermark with Custom Mark Thompson Leupold in 4.5x14...used the 600 yard dot.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shot Mike!

What on earth is that recoil like!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's quite a poke! Good shot

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Leopard track,

Gun has a break on it so it was mild.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Too bad you couldn't get closer, but nice little deer.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
John,

There were lots of opportunities to shoot does on the property at reasonable ranges.

This was specifically an opportunity to give long range shooting/hunting a try with a purpose built long range rifle and custom reticle in a 4.5x14 scope and bubble level. Was able to shoot prone, off the bipod, and a jacket for rear support.

There was no discernible wind so that was the reason I was willing to attempt the shot.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a shot.Was the meat damaged at all????

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The shot hit in the back of the lungs/liver so very little meat damage

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first saw the title I thought, "I bet I have a longer shot" Well I was WRONG and by quite a bit. Nice shooting Mike.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mike!

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG, Mike!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
600 is quite a poke tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe. I was hesitant to take the shot but given my son had made one the day before at ~ 530 yards with the same gun and the same coaching, I was a little more confident.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Sorry I misunderstood, Mike. In my mind hunting is getting as close as you can, which sometimes isn't all that close; long-range, which for me is anything beyond point-blank-range is for targets, which for the rifles I hunt with is around 325 yards. I took an Antelope at 360 yards a couple years ago, a Caribou at 350 and recently an Elk at 350. The Antelope shot came after I'd crawled on my hands and knees for 200 yards to get to the 360, and on the Elk it was either shoot from a perfect prone position at 350 or let the bull go. Both cases I would have rather gotten closer to increase my odds of a clean killing first shot. Hitting a bullseye at 600 is a great accomplishment, but for me hunting requires the utmost respect for the animal and I won't shoot unless I believe I have a 100% certainty of a first shot kill. For sure, that hasn't always worked out, but that's what I shoot for. Happy hunting!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+! IMHO this LRH should be renamed LRS because when you're so far out that the animal has no chance to use it's senses to detect and escape a predator (man) it's just shooting and not hunting. This long range stuff is mainly just so companies can sell their equipment and is causing a big stir in the hunting community with many arguments cropping up as to how far is too far! IMHO if you can get closer, no matter what equipment is being used, then that is what hunting is all about and not wacking some poor animal that has no idea you're in the same county with it. The problem as I see it is not the ones who do a ton of practice and know they can make the shot, but with the "wannabes" that can't hunt to begin with and then watch the LR shows on TV that make it look so simple when the beast falls over at every shot like it got hit with the hammer of Thor! What they don't see is the many misses or wounded game that happens because it is edited out and wouldn't sell the equipment if it was shown. Nice shot Mike and I'm sure you wouldn't have taken it if you weren't 100% sure of your equipment and ability to do it!

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the shot it doesn't pay to let people know what you do there is always someone offended. I believe if you practice and can be sure of the shot it is still hunting not shooting. In my opinion shooting is at paper not live animals.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote