Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting the brown nosed wombat?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
Does anyone know where I can find one, or even a whole congregation of them?

Normally they can be very shy and elusive, though sometimes quite pugnacious. But if you use the right bait they come out of their holes in droves.

[ 07-30-2003, 18:55: Message edited by: NitroX ]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I work with a bunch of brown nosed wussies. Will they do?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NitroX

Try the Boddington Thread. [Wink] [Big Grin]

There is a population of Red Faced Chicken Gropers there also. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

Trophy Fees on Gold Medal specimans only. [Cool]

[ 07-31-2003, 07:34: Message edited by: Mickey1 ]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of choppa
posted Hide Post
Nitro-X

Dont laugh, but over here in my part of Victoria, Wombats do so much damage that it is legal to shoot them! with a spotlight one night we got 36, just around our farm, they are tough bastards too!

Posts: 137 | Location: Australia Vic Woorarra | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 'bagged' my legal limit of snipe many times. You just never know....

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Mickey

Haven't seen that thread. [Wink] [Roll Eyes]

Choppa

I don't believe it! You can actually hunt them over there. Here - the Hairy Nosed version - is highly protected. What species are you shooting?

What do they taste like ?

From "Old-timers" I tell they make a nice soup.

Will have to look for a photo to post so people will know what to look for.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
NitroX
They taste a bit like Platypus [Big Grin]

Bakes

Posts: 8052 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of choppa
posted Hide Post
Nitro-X,

I dont know what species they are? I thought they were hairy nosed, but I could be wrong, I have never tasted a Wombat, if I was hungary enough I probably would, have to be bloody hungary though!
we are over run with the bloody things, they do some shocking damage, take some stopping too! I remember one taking five SG's up the arse off the back of the ute and still kept going, I have also seen them with mange so bad, not one hair was left on him, looked like a mud monster, poor Bastard, I was glad to put him out of his misery.

Posts: 137 | Location: Australia Vic Woorarra | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Choppa

If you can legally do it, I would definitely try eating it. I think you would be surprised that they are quite good to eat. At least from reports from colonial days.

I'll help you out one day if you like.

Bakes

I thought their taste was a cross somewhere between platypus and koala.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I liked Koala although the backstraps are quite small. It took about 30 of them to make a meal for a barbie. That and a substantial quantity of VB. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote