THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: What 0.510" diameter hunting bullets for elk?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What 0.510" diameter hunting bullets for elk?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Martin,

I will be using a 500 AHR (500 Jeffery Improved if you will). I had planned on using the 570gr Woodleigh soft points, as I have used them in the past on bigger stuff with good results, albeit they turn themselves practically inside out. I figured they would work for elk, but with a little less deformation.

I asked the question, most likely too late, to see what other's experiences had been. Dan's comments are bothering me a bit though.

Dan, have you actually shot any elk with the 570 Woodleigh SP? I am launching them at ~ 2330 fps.

Thanks everyone.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
43deer,

I agree with everything you said, at least in principal. Personally, I think solids would not be as good as soft points, though.

I actually posted this to see if anyone else out there was as "demented" as I am, and are using 50 caliber rifles for elk.

I really was hoping to hear back from Dan.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 500 Jeffery Improved -570gr Woodleigh - 2330 fps.
For Elk ...

Don't you think that's kinda like hunting West Coast deer
with a 460 Weatherby using 600 grain bullet's in jacket's that are only 0.004 thick and are hollow pointed and flat nose to boot.

You were plainning on eatting this thing after killing it right .

You could always drop a fuel air bomb on it from a cargo plane

Talk about over kill

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin,

Filling the freezer with meat is the primary objective. The bullets have ~ 0.050" thick jackets. Why do you think that this combination is such overkill? Elk are pretty tough when it comes right down to it, far tougher than a deer.

ASS_CLOWN

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are killing me ASS_CLOWN! I've always loved your posts, and agreed with most of them, but asking what kind of 50 caliber bullet is best for elk is like asking a 22-250 owner what the best bullet for prairie dogs is. I'd say that any bullet out of your 50 is just fine. I hear those ballistic tips fail though! I have no problem with using a 50 for elk or antelope or squirrels for that matter, but I'd spend more time worrying about hitting your target that what that size of bullet will do once it hits the target.

Posts: 96 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Thanks for the reply. It is looking like I will be finding out just how suitable an elk bullet the 570 gr Woodleigh SP is. I will report out on it's performance for all who may be interested.

ASS_CLOWN