THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Well, I went to OVIS and am now lighter in the pocketbook

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, I went to OVIS and am now lighter in the pocketbook
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went to the OVIS show in Vegas and met some really nice hunters and outfitters. Craig Boddington was the winner for their Conklin Award (shocker) and gave a very nice speech. The owners of Huntin Fool were there for a seminar and got to visit with Garth and Jason Carter. BTW, Garth is a bigger guy than I would have thought. He was joking about getting in 'sheep shape' and I thought he looked ready for just about anything or anyone! He also passed on some very interesting info. ie Wyoming sheep points. ONLY those with the max points actually have the points. If you don't have the max points then you only have ONE. Doesn't matter if you have 12 'points' or 2. Your name only goes in the hat once. That got the crowd stirred...

I purchased a hunt for Tajikistan for a marco polo and ibex with The Consortium (Bob Kern). Been wanting to do it for a while. Bought a dall sheep hunt with Red Stone Outfitters. I feel real good about them. Met several hunters who'd hunted with Daved Dutchik and all had nothing but good things to say. Then, met with Mark Banser with Banser Custom Rifles. Figured what the hell, already spent a good chunk of change, so bought my first custom rifle - 300 WSM. I guess my Sako 300 WSM will become my backup. Never thought that would happen.

Got some good leads for a Rocky Mntn Sheep hunt and also for a New Zealand hunt both of which I'm hoping I'll be able to do next year.

One funny thing I found out is that my old pastor at my church has hunted with this one outfitter in New Zealand for the last 12 consecutive years. Hmm, all those Sundays and he's never once mentioned that... LOL He's since retired and will be taking his two boys this coming year. Hope they have a great time.

The show itself was very nice in that it wasn't the Dallas SCI mad house. I was able to visit with each outfitter for however long I wanted. They were all beat though. For most of them it was their 5th and last show for the year. The auctions were up and down. Some of the stuff went for what I thought, some far below and a few actually went over.

I was questioning at the last minute whether I should go or not. I'm sure glad I did.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He also passed on some very interesting info. ie Wyoming sheep points. ONLY those with the max points actually have the points. If you don't have the max points then you only have ONE. Doesn't matter if you have 12 'points' or 2. Your name only goes in the hat once. That got the crowd stirred...

Been that way since day one.(since they started the point system anyway) Preference points and not bonus points, and all that don't draw, whether max points or one point, are thrown into a draw for 25% of the total tags. 25% is set aside for everyone. Myself, I would have preferd a bonus point system, 13 points, 13 chances. But oh well, I already drew! Smiler

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
good for you Bluefin, sounds like my kind of shoppin' spree Big Grin

getting ready to do another Dall hunt myself, in the near future; I've never heard anything negative on Redstone or Dutchik, good luck to you...

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds fantastic! I want to make it to the show sometime.

I'm studying in New Zealand for the semester. I'll scout it out for ya... Wink

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you will be very busy.

Do me a favor and post some dang pictures this time! Heck I'll post them, just email them to me.

Good luck on all the hunts. beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

LOL. The whole picture thing on computers is something I haven't been able to master just yet. I promise I'll work on it!
You headed back to Africa anytime soon?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
Charles,

LOL. The whole picture thing on computers is something I haven't been able to master just yet. I promise I'll work on it!
You headed back to Africa anytime soon?

Just as soon as the Dow gets back to 14000. Wink

I am being conservative on spending right now but hope to get back in a couple of years if things do not detriorate. And of course there is always the lottery! Big Grin

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lottery is the only thing left. Heck, you can't even rob banks anymore - nothing there!~

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
The lottery is the only thing left. Heck, you can't even rob banks anymore - nothing there!~

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bluefin
You are the Epitome of a Stimulus Package..
Ak

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's nice knowing someone out there is loving me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You haven't told Her yet have You..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bluefin,

Good luck on your hunts. Do you know what month you will be hunting your Marco Polo?

I saw the photo of a Marco Polo taken during one of the last hunts in December 2008, 62 7/8 what a MONSTER!!!

Best of luck, and kill a bigger one!!!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kathi,

It'll be the first week of Dec. I'd love to just SEE a 62" Marco Polo.

Spoke to Bob Kerns and he's getting me the final paperwork. As soon as I receive them I'll be giving you a call about the exact dates to work up a flight itenerary.