New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana DIY hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Its been 4 years since I last hunted Montana.They have had some bad winters and the deer herd is down by about 75%.White tails are having a bad time of it with Blue Tongue.I have a couple Ranches where I have hunted for years and the owners were kind enough to let me and my Son hunt them last week.The Rut was not on yet so we had to work for what we did get.I had a crack at a real buster that was probably 4" beyond his ears on both sides.I know I hit him ,but he jumped a fence and went onto a neighboring ranches property.The owner would not give me permission to look for him.I hope he retrieved him as it would be a shame for that deer to go to waste.We ended up with two 4X4s .One was 2 1/2 and the other 3 1/2 years old.My Son shot his at 446 yds with a 300WSM and I got mine at 265 yards with a 270 WSM.Both Tikkas.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
If you are denied permission to go retrieve a game animal in MT, call a game warden. Wardens have the authority to cite the owner under the waste of game statute. Some times they get real helpful after a short conversation. Never hurts to try!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
If you are denied permission to go retrieve a game animal in MT, call a game warden. Wardens have the authority to cite the owner under the waste of game statute. Some times they get real helpful after a short conversation. Never hurts to try!

Thanks,I did not know that.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Fine brace of Buck!
A 1st for your son?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
A Fine brace of Buck!
A 1st for your son?

Yes his first trip West.He wants to come back. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sucks for the lost buck - SOB...

Nice brac of bucks - congrats

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orvar:
Sucks for the lost buck - SOB...

Nice brac of bucks - congrats

Thanks,OB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on those well earned deer! And SHAME on that landowner who didn't allow you to fetch your deer; He is surely not a Montanan.
My wife has a tag and will be hunting in eastern MT near Hinsdale. I won the grand prize drawing of the new PA chapter of Mule Deer Foundation, and she will be the huntress, her mom grew up on a ranch near Wolf Point. Meant to be I reckon.
Best of luck to you and your son.

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil Ol Biker, looks like you's had a nice time. Shame about the other buck though. It is remarkable to me that a rancher wouldn't let you go look, or even go with you if he was that paranoid.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dom:
Waidmannsheil Ol Biker, looks like you's had a nice time. Shame about the other buck though. It is remarkable to me that a rancher wouldn't let you go look, or even go with you if he was that paranoid.

He was an old man and an Outfitter had leased his land.He was confused about the whole thing and I decided to let it go.OB