Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle Brakes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
My rant for the day. I am getting tired of hearing about how loud muzzle brakes are and how your guide doesn't want you to have them etc. etc. Put some ear muffs on and shoot the stupid thing, cut it off and recrown, sell the gun whatever, get a smaller caliber, wear a recoil pad, do some shoulder presses whatever. I can personally live without them. But tired of hearing everyone cry about them. Ok that was my rant for the day

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Asprin works well!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Since you're ranting, I want to rant as well.

My rant would be about those guys that buy Dino Killer Magnums and then want reduced loads for them.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod has hit the nail on the head.
We dont like hunters to show up in camp with sissy slots on their guns. They do hurt the guides ears ! Nothing better than to set up a shot for a hunter with sissy slots using a pine tree that has lots of snow on it for a rest !!!
Love it when they miss the 1st shot and have to try it the 2nd time !!!

Hang on TITE !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wondering....can the muzzlebreak endpiece on a BOSS system be replaced by a non-MB component that reduces the sound but keeps the Ballistic Optimization characteristics? I have a hunting companion who has a model 70 winchester with the BOSS that threads on. Big Ouch there but really, really accurate. Recoil is not his consideration, just accuracy and an unwillingness to part with the gun.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My rant is people who don't know the difference between "break" and "brake".

It's a muzzlebrake!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duh! I actually noticed the misspelling and STILL repeated it. Double-DUH for me, I guess.

I'm still wondering if it can be unscrewed and replaced with another non-brake BOSS component.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
plainview -

Yes, it is called the CR and is made by Browning and I presume Winchester as well. I have replaced both BOSS devices on my .375H&H and .300WM. I wanted it for accuracy, not as a MB.

BTW, if anyone needs a CR to replace the BOSS on a Browning or Win .375H&H, I think I have a couple spares. PM me for price.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

It's a muzzlebrake!

beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
How did your muzzle break? rotflmo

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The Browning and Winchester CR's are identical in my experience. The CR eliminates the muzzlebreak portion of the BOSS and just allow you to have a BOSS with no brake.
I too have a rifle that came with a BOSS and I hate muzzle brakes so I put a CR on it. When I take the BOSS off completely I get 1.5 to 2" groups, with the BOSS on I can shoot .5" groups with a .338 Win Mag.
Lion Hunter PM sent.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rant is the same as "Grumulkin" in why do people spend thousands of bucks on a large caliber stopping rifle just to fire grosly reduced loads. I don't see an advantage to using loads any less than the starting loads reccomended by the powder and bullet makers. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

It's a muzzlebrake!

Oops you got me lol. However even worse than people complaining about muzzlebrakes are the spell check police.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
leemar28 what guide service do you work for or own. Remind me not to book a hunt with them.

I only own one gun that has a brake thats because I couldn't get it any other way from the factory. It is lound it does help with recoil. I never shoot it with out hearing protection.

I might have too some day as it is my backpacking TI revolver and if something is trying to hurt me I well not worry about the noise.

Rodney H because it is fun. I have no trouble shooting full power loads in my 416 but some 300grers at 2200 work well on deer don't cost to much don't kick ect ect. Hell I even find it fun to shoot some 315 cast at 1000 out of it just a nice little pop.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rant is about the guy at the bench next to you at the rifle range who has a brake on his wisbang magnum when you are trying to sight in or even worse work up a load for your rifle !
Even with hearing protection you have to flinch as the noise and the gas hitting you in the face "IS NOT GOOD FOR ACCURATE SHOOTING " !

Hip

Posts: 1891 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
My rant is about the guy at the bench next to you at the rifle range who has a brake on his wisbang magnum when you are trying to sight in or even worse work up a load for your rifle !
Even with hearing protection you have to flinch as the noise and the gas hitting you in the face "IS NOT GOOD FOR ACCURATE SHOOTING " !

Hip

Hipshoot,

Word.

Ard.

Posts: 68 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:

Hip

I've had to move benches because buddy beside me was almost blowing my glasses off. thumbdown

Can't take the recoil? get a smaller gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hipshoot: At my club's range we have portable rolling baffles. They are insulated barrels about 30"X24" on a frame wi rollers. You roll them up to the front end of the bench and shoot thru them; cuts down muzzle blast. Required use for guns wi muzzle brakes; policed by range officer as well as individual shooters. We also have roll up screening between benches for black pwder shooters, but can also be used if you are bothered by possible flying debris/gas from muzzle brakes,(Never heard of that complaint before.) Muzzle brakes are a fact of life; they have their place. Get used to it and get over it. Thats why their is abundant ear protection devices. Too many other things to justifiably get upset about. My biggest complaints at the range are unsafe practices and slobs who do not clean up after themselves= like not picking up brass, leaving mats & sandbags on the bench, not policing down range,etc. As for outfitters & guides, solution is simple: make their non-use a condition in your booking.(That's not likely to happen. In not one of my 10 or so guided hunts has this been a problem for my outfitter or the guide. On those hunts when I used a muuzlebraked .338WM I always informed the guide I had one and cautioned him to stand well behind me. This non-issue is easily dealt with.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
We dont like hunters to show up in camp with sissy slots on their guns. They do hurt the guides ears ! Nothing better than to set up a shot for a hunter with sissy slots using a pine tree that has lots of snow on it for a rest !!!
Love it when they miss the 1st shot and have to try it the 2nd time !!!

leemar28, Where do you guide and what do you guide for?

With an attitude like that toward your clients, I want to make sure I never book with you.

And as long as we're ranting...In my opinion, with or without a muzzle brake, a man is a fool not to use some type of ear protection when they are near gunfire. Even an unported .22 LR can cause permanent ear damage.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whats does CR stand for and where does a person get one? I have a Win Mdl 70 in 300 mag w/boss and I can't stand the noise.

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote