THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: 180 Interloc, SST or Speer Grand Slam for elk

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 180 Interloc, SST or Speer Grand Slam for elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
of the bullets mentioned, i would take the grand slam, but would not feel under- or over0gunned with any of them.

aside from that, i would toss in another vote for a partition. not needed, but a little extra insurance couldn't hurt.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'll comment on the three bullets mentioned only since that was your question. Assuming all three grouped satisfactorily, I'd go with the 180 Hornady Interlock followed by the Grand Slam. I'd leave the SST at home or for deer. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am taking a 270 loaded with 150 grain Hornady interlocs for the open and for what timber work we do I am using my 45-70 with 405 grain Remington soft points. I am of the opinion that any of these bullets placed well will do the trick with my last choice being the SST. We are both experienced hunters and the area we are going to hunt in has lots of elk so there is no real pressure other than to shoot one as close to a road as possible.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also leave the SST at home for deer. Between the Interloc and the Grand Slam, I would choose the Grand Slam. Both are good bullets and tend to shoot well out of my 300 win. I shot a young bull at 45 yards with the 180 grain grand slam and it performed flawlessly. The shot was through both shoulders, and lodge in the hide on the far side. The bull bounced his chin off the dirt. The recoverd 180 grain bullet was 139 grains and a perfect mushroom. Can't argue to much with that. I have friends in elkcountry Montana that only load and shoot the interlocs. They shoot their bulls every year and the bullet do what their supposed to.

At 308 velocities, in all honesty, either one will perform fine, but I would still personally choose the Grand Slam.

In reply to another comment made on this thread: Agonizing over what bullet? Hell, that's half the fun and helps pass the time until your in the timber! I love agonizing over what bullet I am going to use this year.

I know that whatever bullet I choose is going to have to travel where I want it to, and if it does, just about any of them will do the trick, but what's the fun in that?

I want cotrolled expansion with 88 1/2% weight retention with an early opening and a hard thump! I want the accousics of the hit to sound a certain way, and the accoustics of his chin hitting the ground to sound another. If it doesn't go down upon impact, I want a blood trail that a blind man can follow, and only coming from the far side of the animal! I want it to save my marriage and serve as stocking stuffers for the kids. I want it high in fiber and low in cholesterol. I want them cheap enough to afford but expensive enough to give warm fuzzies about investing in quality products. :

And Last of all, I want them to kill whatever I shoot them at!

Chalk up 1 vote for the Grand Slam

Good Luck!

Autumn Pulse

Posts: 33 | Location: WA State | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
From the ones you mentioned and based on my own experiences, I would go with the Grand Slam if you want consistent results.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Either the interlocks or the grand slams will work just fine. Because they perform similar, I tend to gravitate to the interlock which gives 100 per box instead of 50. Better buy, kills um just as dead. Save the sst's for deer.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grand Slams and NP's have been my bullets of choice for years. I've found no reason to change. I understand the mushroom of the GS is now controlled by the wall thickness of the cup rather than by using two different cores of different hardness. I haven't any experience with the new ones but I am told they work just as well.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just point out any innaccurate statement I have made about your Holy Grail bullet. I already have "decades of experience" and have taken every species of big game in America from Elk on down. I just can't see that the partition kills any better or even as good with good hits on big game than Speer Hotcor's or Hornady Interloc's. I have owned rifles that would not shoot partitions well though generally plenty good for hunting. I have used Speer's and Hornady bullets long enough that I don't need what the Partition offers though I think the 210 grain .338 bullet is the best available bullet for the 338 Win mag. In general though I'll use a heavier bullet or a bigger gun before I will chose a partition for tough work.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote