New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Hunting (Cull) - For Meat
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know where to to go shoot a buffalo. My elk and deer hunting has not gone well, and I need meat in the freezer. I am looking at shooting a cow or young bull that needs culling for a good low price. I don't care if its fenced in or if I shoot out of a pickup truck. All I am really in it for is the meat. If any of you have done this I would appreciate if you could give me the name and number of someone and where they are located.

Thanks

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did this type of harvest this past winter. I went out to north dakota. I hunted The Bison Ranch at Coteau Ridge. It was your typical shoot that one type of harvest. But that was what I expected I like you just wanted meat.It is located about 35 miles north of Jamestown, which is about a hundred miles west of fargo.I don't have the web adress handy but do a search and it will pop right up. It was a great time. The ranch owner Oren Krapp is a great guy down to earth and don't feed you any bullshit. I went out with my dad and brother. Prices have gone up a bit from last year but we paid 800 bucks apiece for a cows and 600 for a yearling cow as he offers group discounts. You get the whole animal meat hide head two nights lodging and breakfast each morning included in the price. The accomdations are nothing special but very nice. You will stay in an old farm house down a gravel road basically in the middle of nowhere. He also loads and transports the bison to a meat processor in town about 35 miles away. We paid about three hundred a bison for skinning cutting wrapping and grinding. Excellent facility eat off the floor clean. It takes about three days for them to process. They will ship or you can stick around for a few days and hunt or fish. We stayed extra days for 35 bucks a night includeing breakfast. We had free range of the ranch to coyote hunt also good fishing in the area. I would be heading back this year but don't have the frezzer space or a whitetail tag. The deer numbers are unbelievable out there in five days we saw over 600 deer.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Kenny Kramer of Kramer Hunting located in Harper Texas (near Kerrville) has several buffalo cows and bulls. I think his young bulls are going for $950. You keep it all (head, hide, meat). He'll even dress it out and quarter.

(830)329-2560

He even has plenty of Red Deer hinds and Elk cow for meat.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple places here in SW Montana. I think you can shoot a cow for around $350. I drive right by one of the ranches when I go elk hunting. I'll try to get the number (and an elk) tomorrow.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TomFromTheShade
posted Hide Post
A cow for $350? That seems pretty friggin' reasonable to me. I don't know how much meat you get off of one of these animals, but its got to be a pretty good amount.

- TomFromTheShade -

Make it a point in life to leave this world a little better off than it was before you came into it.

Posts: 81 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think after processing and tresspass fees etc.. you end up paying around $1.00 a pound.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the contact info.

Montana Buffalo Meat
P.O. Box 478
Gallatin Gateway, MT 59730
Telephone: 1-800-495-0221, 406-763-4235
Email: info@montanabuffalomeat.com
Montana Buffalo Meat
or http://www.montanabuffalomeat.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who helped me out with trying to find a Buffalo to shoot for meet.

Bad news is that I didn't need it. Good News is that I headed over to Wyoming to try one last time to fill my out of state elk tag (cow) I hunted last night and saw three, but they took off before I could get a shot. I headed out this morning and by 7:15 I had my elk. About a medium sized cow about 2 to 3 years old. It should taste great.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks "elkhunter" for the info. I might still pick up some Buffalo. They make real good Hamburgers.

DRSS .470 & .500

posted Hide Post
Why not just visit your local butcher?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not just visit your local butcher?

Around here, buffalo steak goes for 13 to 18 dollars a pound.

Bill

Posts: 109 | Location: IL | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Any place in Texas for a buffalo or eland or elk cow hunt for a freezer filler?

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote