Find
Notify
Tools

trail cam pic
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
This was emailed to me from a friend in Columbus. Since the date is Sept 20, I can only assume this was done in another state that allows baiting. Possibly SC, or KY. I emailed him back to see where this took place but no response yet.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool picture!!

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Excellent shots with bow AND camera !!

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I know...it's an awsome pic. See the second deer also fleeing?

You can also see blood on the offside leg so it seems evident that the broadhead is poking out.

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
That is one of the coolest pictures ive seen!! Thanks for posting it.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Must have been shooting a mechanical or a 30lb bow popcorn

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
photoshop, that's a dead deer, look at his ears.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE OBSERVATION RJ, I CAN SEE WHERE YOU WOULD SUSPECT THAT, NOW THAT I LOOK AT IN THAT WAY

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bullshit photo. Got one with a unicorn, or maybe the Easter Bunny?

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Is it BS? I don't know. I emailed it to a traditional bowhunter relative of my wife's in KS and he said it was on stickbow.com or tradgang.com

I can see where it could be photoshopped, but there is another deer taking off also...could be for other reasons if indeed photoshopped.

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I first saw this photo on the Archery Talk forum. I questioned the validity of the photo because the deer is transparent in places. If it's not a photoshop deal, then it's an amazing photo.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I don't see any transparencies. And now that I think about it, I've never seen a dead deer with it's ears down like this either.

I think we all know what the "dead" look is and that is the ears are back as if listening behind them.

Moreover, the tail is blurry which indicates motion.

Hmmmmmm....I honestly don't know, but the above post about the ears in this position indicating that it's dead I disagree with.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc-

Thanks for posting this. I saw this over on the Mathews forum and posted my opinion for all the naysayers to ponder. Here it is again for those of you that are interested...

===============================
In my opinion, it is REAL.

I have been doing photography for over 15 years and can explain the lighting and transparency effects in this photograph.

It is a combination of shutter speed and flash. The manufacturers can set the flash to go off in one of two ways. Either 1) when the shutter first opens ("first curtain") or 2) just before the shutter is about to close ("second curtain"). It appears that Cuddieback sets up their cameras to do the second option.

This means the shutter of the camera can open early, exposing the background (woods in this picture) and then flash to add "fill light" to 1) freeze action in place (the deer in this case) and then 2) add more light to the foreground (what's close to the camera). This all happens very quickly, so most people don't notice the separation of flash and shutter opening/closing.

In this photo, it appears as though the camera was triggered by the deer in front causing the shutter to open. The shutter remained open for a fraction of a second until the "second curtain" flash caught the arrowed buck. The deer was shot BEFORE the picture was taken; the camera just happened to catch it fleeing.

For an example of how this works (WITHOUT Photoshop), here is photo of my dog. You can see the background behind his head where he moved it while I was using a slow shutter speed, but yet his body was still and is not transparent. Photographers call this effect "ghosting".

At any rate, this is a very cool photograph captured on a trailcam. Give this man some credit for his good luck and shot placement!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He does have the blue eyes of a dead deer but that could be the camara. On the other hand I have seen some heart shot deer in that pose and it lookes like that shot could have caught the heart.

I think we could all agree that one way or the other that is a dead deer! Wink

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
VERY DEAD!! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure looks real to me although a VERY lucky photo. The muscleclature fits the action of the animal as oposed to the stiff relaxed muscles of a dead deer. The glare on the eye is to be expected from the flash. The other deer in the background (just in front of his nose) would be an unexpected touch for a fraud. No, as unlikely as it seems this is a real photo I'd say. It is just this sort of lucky shot that frustrates people who spend years trying to catch such action!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would get a shoulder mount done of the buck and frame the photo.

btw... Thanks for the photography tutorial, Kenati.

Hmmm.... maybe I need to throw down a little corn this season. Wink

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Kenati, thanks for your explanation! Very cool pic of the dog by the way.