Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetail vs axis ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
For those of you who live in Texas or that have hunted both species, what deer you think is more spooky or wild from those two ??

I ask this because I saw a DVD from a Cianciarulo couple that hunt whitetails with a bow and they look (for me) less spooky than axis deers.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Depends where you're hunting them.

Heavily pressured they are both very elusive and can be very tough to take with a bow.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo, believe me it ain't the Axis. Unless you are hunting in an envirionment where the feed them, like hunting over corn--then all bets go out the window--I guess like Big Guy says--depends where--over corn they're both pretty 'un-alert'

In a typical woodlands environment whitetails are far more skittish in my experience.

Good luck!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo
For what its worth, all things being equal, it seems axis are a little more weary/cagey. Axis seem to have more sensitive noses and will scam an area longer before committing to coming in. All things being equal both are tough hunts with a bow.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
While both can have moments of being a little less alert and with their guard down (as during the rut or with younger animals), both are very wary animals and can be difficult to hunt.

Once a whitetail or axis buck gets to 4 or 5 years old, they can be extremely challenging to hunt and will be a stern test for all of your outdoor/hunting expertise.

With that being said, in the animals I have seen, the whitetail buck is, in my opinion, even more difficult to bring to bag than the axis.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote