New
Find
Notify
Tools

caribou outfitter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
looking to do a caribou hunt in 07'. wondering if anyone has a good line on an outfitter. never been before, ive mounted several barren ground caribou for clients and decided i want one (or two) of my own! thanks

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
where you wanna go and what type of caribou?

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i live in connecticut, looking to go for barren ground caribou. didnt want to go to alaska, somewhere in canada. i just dont know when the best time is for the migration, and i heard that during the rut the meat is no good. is this true? ill go anywhere, just looking for some tips.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
What you heard about Caribou meat during the rut is true. The bulls follow the cows around drinking the cow's urine to tell if they're in heat. The bulls kidney's can't filter out the urea which causes the meat to smell and taste bad. Go for early season hunt to avoid this. Why not Alaska? Take a look at Lake Clark Air.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toomany Tools

I have never heard this about the caribou! That is very interesting. I am booked for caribou hunt out of Kotzebue.

When do the caribou go into the rut?

Thanks
Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I believe the rut begins around mid-September.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote