New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light, tough medium game rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am just thinking about what would make a good rifle for carrying around varied terrain.
Stainless(or teflon) with a synthetic(or Laminate) stock.

Light and handy but still capable of fair acuracy.

I was looking at the Remington Seven Alaskan rifle, very nice.

I am also a quite inclined toward Sako due to the fact that I have always found them to be spot on right out of the box.
Their Finlight is also nice.

Caliber would be something like .300WSM, 7mm-08 7mmSAUM, .300SAUM

Any other ideas?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you are on the right track. I have Remington in 300 SAUM and love it. Accurate out of the box. Has all those .308 caliber bullets as options for reloading. Can shoot 165 - 200 gr bullets at decent velocities accurately.
Mine is stainless, but I had Gun-Kote put on it at High Performance Gunsmiths, but that was just a matter of not liking the stainless look.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you say stainless (or teflon), are you implying that you would teflon a chrome moly barrel or action ( I might be way off base here). If I am right though, this to me doesn't make good sense. When the teflon peels or chips, and it will, I don't know how you would keep things from rusting underneath the stuff. In my opinion, this so called weather proof finish would become a liability and a bad idea.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What sort of accuracy should one expect from a model Seven?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What sort of accuracy should one expect from a model Seven?

MOA Accuracy should be expected. My 300 SAUM shoots most loads at about MOA. Some are better and some are slightly worse. I have a load with 165 partitions at around .5" at 100 yards. 165 Sierra GameKings shoot .5 - .7" consistantly. 180 GameKings .9", but I am still working on those. 200 gr Accubonds at 1.1", but still working on those also.

The only bad loads I have had are Interbonds which I have gotten down to 1.5" on one occaision.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snatch up a .308 win and work up a good handload with a premium bullet. Plenty of gun, in a short action, and your choice of a lightweight rifle. Probably wil shoot well in most rifles

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I've got handy rifles in 3 of the 4 chamberings you mention(no 300SAUM yet).

My S/S Seven 7SAUM is my favorite. It's short length,coupled with most impressive punch and stellar accuracy,draws me to it.

I nestled it in a McMillan Remington Mountain Rifle patterned handle,poked alloy Talley's on top and a matte Leupold 6x42mm to peer through.

It is the bottom rifle:

-

It weighs 7.25lbs and will hover in the sub .75MOA realm with 120 V-Max(my practice load). The 120XBT goes right at .75MOA and both are at better than 3300fps despite the 22" tube. All of that compliments of Re-15.

I find the rifle a perfect blend of punch and portability and it handles superbly. She's a short actioned 280AI and that ain't a bad thing..........................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick, what stock do you have on the rifle, second from top?? Is that a McMillan Anschutz Silhouette??
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll hazard aguess that it's a McMillan A2 stock.

Although I don't plan on putting this rifle together anytime soon I am thinking the Seven S/S is the best buy being offered in 7mm or .300 SAUM.

I would have really liked it in .300WSM...

At the moment I have a Seven in .222 that I want to fix up a bit, it's shooting very badly at the moment so I want to see if I can work out the problem then use it for a little roe deer hunting as a test.

If I'm happy with the handling of it I'll think seriously about getting one in a bigger caliber for big game hunting in rought places.

<Big Stick>
posted
That's a McMillan A2 and I loved that pattern for a long while. Fact is,that's one of my favorite rifles. It's a 700 short, sporting a Lilja tube chambered in 7-08. Glass is a Leupie MK IV 10x and it shoots fair to middlin'(grin).

Here's another A2 and the lower is an A1(HTG/M40A1).

-

However,their recent advent of the A5,has the A2 falling from grace.

-

Am awaiting a Badger bottom and Leupie 3.5-10x M1 to do the A5 full justice. Can't decide if I'm gonna poke the pictured 308Win barreled action in it,or a 223AI instead. Decisions...decisions.

I have one of their Anschutz patterns,but it's on a 10/22 and in black/blue swirl.

It's on top.

-

Am pretty hip on the black/white scheme on a S/S rifle.......................

<Big Stick>
posted
Express,

A pard bought his 300SAUM,the same day I bought my 7SAUM. At that time,I had two 300WSM's(since sold one) and mine both had 24" tubes.

Long way of sayin',the difference betwixt the SAUM and WSM as far as performance,is simply dick. For Hunting/toting/packing/shooting,I think the S/S Seven is a tough act to follow and I plan on opting that route on my next short/fat 30.

It's a solid tool IMHO...................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty guns Big Stick.

I picked the 300 SAUM over the 7mm SAUM because of bullet selection and existing inventory of bullets from what I already load for. The differences in ballistics are minimal. Standard trade off for recoil/downrange energy.

300 WSM is more popular, but for my money the 300 SAUM is a little better fit for my needs.