New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Shot My First CZ
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks, Hot Core. I'll take your suggestion about degreasing the bolt just in case that had anything to do with the one misfire.

The "fit n finish" on my M527 is very good. The barrel and action looks virtually like the wood grew around it and obviously the bedding job beneath is good too or it wouldn't shoot like it does.

Also the blue seems a darker, deeper color than many US rifles. It's not a high gloss blue but obviously a bit more time was spent polishing the gun before it was dunked in the blueing salts.

The stock is glossy...but not the cheesy gloss Remington uses which looks like a sprayed on urethane. The gloss on CZ's looks like just a fine handrubbed finish.

Everything mechanical fits very well. The clip locks in rock solid with no wiggle or rattle. The only roughness on anything is the bolt rails and this should take care of itself with some use.

The thing that bugs me most about the rifle is the trigger. It's very thin. I like fat (wide) triggers. But if this is the cross I have to bear to shoot this rifle........

One other little thing I might mention that may be relevent to some is recoil. The 7.62x39 is NEVER going to be a bone crusher. And this rifle isn't. But I do admit that it had more recoil than I expected. This puzzled me a moment until I realized the rifle only weighs 6 lbs. I'm used to rifles around 9lbs and up.

Of course I was shooting off a bench and braced against the recoil like people get when they shoot off a bench. So I soaked up 100% of what the little gun had to deal out. It didn't hurt but it surprised me.

A good comparison is after I got done with the CZ I did a bit of target shooting with my Win Model 70 in 243, shooting 90gr bullets. Recoil seemed almost identical.

My point being with the recoil chatter is CZ rifles are built pretty light. I think recoil on all their guns may be a bit more than many expect for this reason. (Yes, there is a pretty fair factory recoil pad already installed.)

And that's about all I can tell you. I'm eager to go into the field with it and see what mischief I can get into.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... Picked up a lovely little Model 527 Carbine chambered for the "mighty" 7.62x39mm. ...I kept telling myself all the way to the range that a rifle COULDN'T look and feel this good and shoot bad. Thankfully I was correct. ... Results were 4 bullets in 3/4" (two cutting same hole) and the 5th rd screwed the group up to 1.5".......but that was my third shot and I knew it got away from me. ...Everything functioned perfectly, although I did have one misfire with this Russian milsurp ammo I was using. I cocked the bolt again and it fired fine. I'll blame that one on the Russians....

Hey Pecos, Congratulations on getting such an accurate rifle right out of the box. I've noticed a lot of folks speak very highly of them and your results fit right in.

I do believe you are probablycorrect about the Mil-surp ammo being the cause, but you might want to degrease the bolt just for grins.

When you have a chance, if you would expand on the "fit and finish" a bit, I'd appreciate your opinion. Did CZ used to be BRNO? Do they make any Stainless and Synthetic rifles?

I can't remember the last time I shot a "Set Trigger", maybe 20 years ago on a European rifle that a GunSmith friend had.

Oh yes, I've seen a lot of folks speak well of that 125gr Nosler B-Tip for Deer, but I don't believe I've seen the results "First Hand", so who knows.

Congratulations on getting a rifle you are apparently enjoying so much.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did load for the 7.62x39 and still have the dies and a bunch of loaded ammo(500?) and maybe 500 new cases and about 1000 123gr. .310 dia bullets.What do you have to trade? Seriously!

I'm surprised you are getting that kind of repeatability out of the Russian mil. ammo. That CZ should really do something with the right reload.

I have only one CZ and it is the 527 American in .222. It is a real joy and I'm just not sure that any more CZs are going to make me any happier. It just may create a little frustration from indesision or some such thing.A fellow at the range the other day asked me to cronograph a couple rounds for him.He had a CZ 527 American Classic Varminter in 17 cal.It looked like mine with a little heavier barrel. I fired two shots and they both went thru the center of the tiny bull at over 4000fps.Could hardly tell it went off.Really nice. Have fun with yours and let me know if we can talk trade. roger

I would ,however, buy a 6.5x54 in a heart beat should they ever come out with one, or even the 6.5x52(Carcano).

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I think Ive fallen into mingling with a dangerous croud. (insert Jaws theme here) I may need to find out for myself and see what all this CZ hubbub is about firsthand. Do they make one in a 8X68s?

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos, I'm thinking about another one to rebbl to 6.8 SPC. (As soon as my wife calms down from the 416 Steyr) Lovely rifles.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos,
Of course you realize that you now need a 527 in .222 Rem. and 550's in 6.5x55 and 9.3x62.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those of you keeping up with my adventures in CZ land will recall I met, fell in love with and bought my first CZ last week. Picked up a lovely little Model 527 Carbine chambered for the "mighty" 7.62x39mm. Today was the first chance I've had to sight it in and shoot the little darling.

I kept telling myself all the way to the range that a rifle COULDN'T look and feel this good and shoot bad. Thankfully I was correct. Did a little quicky bore sight job off the firing bench and then tweeked it in where I wanted it. Then I shot 5 to see what she would do. Results were 4 bullets in 3/4" (two cutting same hole) and the 5th rd screwed the group up to 1.5".......but that was my third shot and I knew it got away from me. I'm just not completely in tune with the set trigger and when it's set, a fellow better keep his klutzy fingers away!

Bottom line is I think it's safe to say the CZ carbine will easily do MOA out of the box. At least this one will.

Everything functioned perfectly, although I did have one misfire with this Russian milsurp ammo I was using. I cocked the bolt again and it fired fine. I'll blame that one on the Russians.

Color me tickled pink with my CZ. I wish I had tried their rifles a long time ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
pecos...let me know if you figure out the cult or addiction thing. at present i have 1)452 american in 22 lr
2)452 lux in 22 mag
3)452 std(beech stock) in 22lr
4)527 in 223(sub .5 moa out of the box)
5)527 rebarreled to 6mm PPC(jack belk)
6)550 american in 6.5x55
7)550 varmint laminated in 308
8)550 lux in 9.3x62
my wife has told me if i buy one more i won't have enough money left to pay for the resulting divorce. maybe the libs will invent a government program to help us poor cz addicts. i feel you'll be buying more...cheers...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
budiceale,

Just NEVER let her count them or see your list! , Mine said that appx 8-10 new guns ago.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Fraid not Western. But they've got a 9.3x62 and a 7x57. I'm thinking if you got one of each and bred them, you'd prolly get an 8x68 out of the litter.

Seriously, go to their super fine website and read all about um.

www.cz-usa.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to decide if CZ's are a Cult or an addiction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
glad to hear it has worked out alright Pecos...now on to the second cz

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote