New
Find
Notify
Tools

feral cattle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I read several years ago about somebody who offered feral cattle hunts along the Rio Grande.
The publication was American Hunter, I think, and the author might have been Aagard.
anybody remember this?

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing a film of one of these hunts some years ago. It looks like the closest thing you could get to a cape buffalo hunt in this country. Although, the feral bulls may be a bit meaner and aggressive, from what I remember.,

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember that article . Seems like , according to Aagard , some of the big bulls took multiple hits from .375 s and .458 s and even tried to ambush the hunter in thick cover after being wounded ...... sounded like big-time fun..... [Big Grin]

[ 04-17-2003, 09:27: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
You are allowed to hunt feral Scottish cattle on the Queen Charlotte Islands up here in B.C. They may not get anywhere as big but I hear they sure are tasty.

I friend of mine lives in Masset and says once and a while someone smashes into one. They are pretty hard to come buy if your hunting for them.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In middle Oklahoma they have a herd of wild buffalo and a herd of feral long horn cattle. The game wardens say the long horns are much more aggressive than the buffalo. FWIW

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a blast, any idea of prices?

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
arty - I remember the story and believe it was maybe ten years ago (when it was printed) - when I lived in Texas, some ranchers would ask for hunters to come to their ranches (south Texas) to kill the ferals as the ranch workers were afraid of the bulls which were in fact truly evil and aggressive - did some hunting in Dimmit county near Carrizo Springs and encountered several ferals and luckily they ran off (lucky for me not them as I did not have a large rifle, only a bow) - I believe hunting feral cattle would be an adventure, kinda like hunting bears in the alders [Wink] [Eek!] KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
We have feral cattle in my neck of the woods. A guiding mate of mine say's they are harder to put down and more aggressive than water buff. I hope to get one this dry season as there are some in the paddock that I hunt pigs on.

Bakes

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<GAHUNTER>
posted
I understand that you can still hunt feral cattle on the slopes of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa on the Big Island of Hawaii. At one time there were so many of them that the native Hawaiians were afraid to venture inland where firece attacks from bulls were common. Anyone interested should look up Parker Ranch on the internet click on the hunting file.

Those who have done it say it's like hunting Mbogo with an attitude.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun. If they are meaner that the brahma bulls on my uncle's ranch than it would be a rush to hunt them.

Posts: 96 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I hunted feral cattle in '99 near where Bakes lives, (Katherine N.T.) We found the two we took as quite spooky, tough, and mine attempted to mount a charge as we closed with it in the bush. Very good hunting.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Matt,
Who did you hunt with?

Bakes

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Texican

I seem to recall those on the Pecos are a cross between brahma and longhorn. Now, wouldn't that be a sweet tempered little darlin'?

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Paleohunter>
posted
Ok we made it clear that they would be fun to hunt, but how do we find a hunt?? I have never seen a ad saying come hunt feral cattle ect. Has anyone else because if you have let me know I'm THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read that story too. It was Murray Burnam hunting wild cattle in the cane thickets along the Rio Grande in West Texas. I don't know if Murray is even still alive but you could call Burnam Brothers in Marble Falls, Texas. Someone there might be able to give you info about some hunts. Worth a call maybe.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote