Find
Notify
Tools

Game Camera Quality
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Let me start by saying I have years of research experience with game/trail cameras. Most of it was with the old TrailMaster 35mm 1500 and 550 models. So setting and operations are not an issue.

I posted here because NA hunters probably use the cameras most.

Due to the risk of THEFT, I need the most quality and balanced with price. They are used for humans and animals. Climate is wet, fog or rain nearly daily. Lets start with under $100. WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?

-----------------------------------------------------

I have an old Moultrie I40 that always works, and Moultrie has been awesome on repairs (cause I broke the lid), and once it got soaked internally and they just replaced it. I looked at their A-5 and A-8 cameras, as well as, the newer A-5 Gen2 camera. However, I would like to hear from you all using them not just a reviewer for publication or the poor snippet on purchase reviews.

Recon Outdoors? They get and F grade. Every one of the Extreme 5.0 have failed and no longer work. We had three on the ranch. Even if they took a picture it was out of focus and that was all three. We tried many options and missed the 12-month window of warranty. Dead to us.

Cuddeback. I only have the old Capture IR 3.0 and 5.0 cameras. Expensive, but pics are not good quality like the Moultrie. However, they have never stopped and one is a 2005 model that has nearly constant use.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For $100 I have been impressed by the Browning Range Ops XR. So far it has been reliable and the photo quality is good.

My go to camera is a Scoutguard 550V. I have several over 6 years old that are still working and have not had one die. The are out from August through March/April. Photo quality isn't superb, but it is usable.

All of my mountries have passed away, although one was destroyed by a family of racoons so not the cameras fault.

I tried Uway, and they have a similar issue to the Wildgame cameras I have tried. They take a blurred photo of moving animals.

Spypoint HD7 takes a really clean photo. I used those in Africa for leopard last year.

Those are all of the ones that I have been around. Honestly, the Scoutguard has been good to me, so I just keep buying them.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I was just looking at trail cameras.

For quality, one seems to need to spend several hundred dollars.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67469 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Bushnell cameras.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

don't ya just luv it when a plan comes together.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the money, the Browning is said to be a good camera. It seems to be hit and miss on most any of the "cheaper" cameras. Some last for years, and some barely make it out of the package.

A new twist is guys making their own out of certain model digital cameras. Look up homebrew trail cams. Some interesting stuff going on. Wish I had the ability to put one of these together. That way you control the quality.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have purchased 4 Moultries. None has lasted a month . I would stay away.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I was just looking at trail cameras.

For quality, one seems to need to spend several hundred dollars.

Agreed Saeed, but I am looking for the golden BB of quality and economy.

People seem to know my 80s aunt lives alone on the ranch. HOWEVER, the predators like badger, coyote, fox and lion sure have moved in.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have purchased 4 Moultries. None has lasted a month . I would stay away.

I was worried that quality had gone to crap.

I will look up the ones you all posted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i bought covert extreme ops 60 and good pics and long battery life even with temps below 20 degrees

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
i have a bushnell trophy hd cam thats a few years old. the trigger speed on it is horrible, but the videos are pretty good.

i have a moultrie that is horrible.

my friends have gone to the brownings like were mentioned earlier, and for the money they are great!

the browning dark ops is 120 on amazon right now. video with sound, will take long videos as well. they also take good pics, though most of my friends and i only use video.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooperjd:
i have a bushnell trophy hd cam thats a few years old. the trigger speed on it is horrible, but the videos are pretty good.

i have a moultrie that is horrible.

my friends have gone to the brownings like were mentioned earlier, and for the money they are great!

the browning dark ops is 120 on amazon right now. video with sound, will take long videos as well. they also take good pics, though most of my friends and i only use video.

Sounding more and more that Browning is the one.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I bought two and my friend bought four 2014 Moultrie M-880s. They have all held up very well, take great pictures, have excellent battery life, low false trigger rate, very good detection range and are pretty easy to hide due to their smaller size. Video is okay. Very easy to use and has lots of pic and video options. I left one out last winter for several months and came back to find several thousand pictures on one set of batteries. If you buy them in bulk they can be had for about $110 each.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushnell trophy cams are what I use I have had 5 of them out for 18months continuously and they do good, I had two newer ones develop problems. Sent them back to Bushnell and they sent me two new cameras......pretty good support.

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I have a Spypoint live camera.

It sends photos via cellphone signal to the Spypoint website.

I can now monitor my camera in South Africa while working in Saudi Arabia 6850km away...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote