THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Bucks are running in S Texas Brush Country

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bucks are running in S Texas Brush Country
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted
It was hot with no breeze Tuesday afternoon when we heading out to one of my favorite stands. We saw six bucks in a short period of time and then spotted a 10 point buck pawing the ground. Stopped the truck and, with the motor still running, stepped out and rattled the horns.

The buck didn't seem to notice the truck, 175 yards away, and began to walk in a circle. He had a wide, even rack, tall points, but not too massive, so continued to watch his antics, thinking he was just making a scrape; then we spotted the tips of another rack behind the brush. This rack looked more promising, so climbed up on the truck to get a better look. My hunting partner picked up the horns and began rattling as the 10 pointer faded into the brush.

We had watched a few minutes, thinking the bucks must have moved off when I spotted the tips of the second buck, still behind the same thick brush as before. He quickly took a couple of steps and stretched his neck to peer over a short bush, exposing about 10" of neck and a beatiful 12 point rack. Didn't take long to decide this was the one I was looking for.

Nothing like the rut in S. Texas brush country!

Have a blessed Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
hm
Awesome...I always wanted to try a South Texas hunt.
Merry Christmas to you and yours to.

Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hm1996,

Very nice buck.

I hunt in Mexico, I hunted the 13th to the 20th or something of that nature. Anyway headed back on Sunday, my partner as seen a couple of small bucks running does, but I havent seen much. Hope they are cranked up when I get there.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wife and I leave tomorrow for Matagorda (fishing) and Uvalde (hunting). Spending New Years at the ranch of a friend, and intend to enjoy the break from work.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
He's a great buck. Very nice antlers!

Congratulations.

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Gringo Casador & Blank:

Good luck on your respective hunts.....waiting for pics!

Sorry for late reply, just got back into town from Christmas w/family. Brought my grandson back with me and we leave tomorrow to see if we can find a deer or two for him.

Thanks for the compliments, Doc.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote