Find
Notify
Tools

How old is this deer?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Based on what you can see of the teeth, how old would you say?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I would guess at least 6 years old. Depends on the area though. My dad has had several does with similar teeth aged by biologist at between 7 and 9 using the growth ring method. These deer were from northern Alabama. Any more info on the deer?

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I shot it as a "mature" deer outside of Brady, TX. I'll hold off on the picture (looking at antlers seems to throw off people's guesses) until we have a few more posts.

I don't know the answer to how old it is, just curious about what others saw in the teeth.

Thanks for your input!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
My guess, not based on specific knowledge but ratehr years of observation was 4 1/2 because of the amount of tooth still above the gumline. I must confess that it is only a guess.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THAT deer hasn't seen 4.5 in a number of years...

One needs a from the top view to properly age teeth, but that deer is at least 7.5

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll throw my hat in for 6 1/2+
i've never been to brady tx and would be curious if the soil there is sandy or fine?
would make the difference between being close or way wrong

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was born and raised in Brady. Curious to hear on who's place you shot the deer. As for the age, I won't even guess, as I haven't inspected enough teeth over the years to guage the age of deer.

Posts: 40 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
My guess was 6 1/2.

The center of the 4th tooth is concave and smooth with no enamel ridge in the middle. I'd say that makes him over 5 1/2 years.

Teeth 5 & 6 are also concave, but there is still a distinguishable enamel ridge in the middle. If tooth 5 had no enamel ridge (like tooth 4), I would have added a year.

Regardless, he was a "shooter."

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Nice buck -- age and a good rack both. beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say 6 1/2 with the distinct possibility of even being 7 1/2.

Regardless, that is a very nice buck. thumb

CONGRATS!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty buck!

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Damn nice buck, well done on the shot placement

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dandy! congratulations on a great old buck thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the age input. I think we all agree that he's at least 6.5 yrs.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that after 5 1/2, it's both difficult to tell, and a moot point. He's mature at that point, and a very nice deer. Since I like the game, I'll just say he's at least 5 1/2, with a good chance of being 6 1/2.

Andy

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Futrdoc:
I've heard that after 5 1/2, it's both difficult to tell, and a moot point. He's mature at that point, and a very nice deer. Since I like the game, I'll just say he's at least 5 1/2, with a good chance of being 6 1/2.

+1 beer

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Thanks for the age input. I think we all agree that he's at least 6.5 yrs.

Experienced people will disagree a bit so I'm with the 6 1/2 guess.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
That deer is between 2 1/2 and 4 1/2.....any suggestion otherwise is ridiculous......I have investigated over 400 deer killed by cougars in the last 3 years and found jaw bones and intact antlers on dozens of the kills. I have seen jaw bones from fawns with teeth worn down almost as much-- tooth wear is highly variable and has more to do with the diet, eting habits and genetics of the deer in question......

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IdahoVandal:
That deer is between 2 1/2 and 4 1/2.....any suggestion otherwise is ridiculous......I have investigated over 400 deer killed by cougars in the last 3 years and found jaw bones and intact antlers on dozens of the kills. I have seen jaw bones from fawns with teeth worn down almost as much-- tooth wear is highly variable and has more to do with the diet, eting habits and genetics of the deer in question......

Having seen lots of teeth sets from known age deer from the Texas Hill Country (e.g. from the Kerr Wildlife Management Area), there is absolutely no way that deer is 2 1/2. 4 1/2 would be a remote possibility, but doubtful. That deer is at least 5 1/2, and quite possibly older. My first thought was probably 6 1/2, but as another poster suggested, once its past 5 1/2, it really doesn't matter and all becomes a matter of guesswork.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
better minus 301,idaho vandal

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote