New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas ,New Mexico , Arizona
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why do Outfitters only have 3-4 day hunts for more money than the rest of the west for the same animal.I see this time after time whe looking foe hunt to go on.Most of the rest of the west is 5-6 days.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
In NM, particularly for antelope and deer, many of the state-imposed seasons are only that long. For instance, our antelope rifle hunts are 2-3 days, depending on the unit. Why do they cost more? I can't answer that without many more specifics.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't say anything about Twxas, bur arizona and New Mexico only havd two, three and four day hunts. Arizona does have a couple that are longer. It's damned hard to do a real hunt when the "F"ing season is only 4 days long. thumbdown Nevada used to have a 6 week deer season, but my hunting buddy up there says it's now only 4 weeks long.
Hell, even residents can't draw tags for the better hunting areas. In 25 years, I've drawn for the Kaibab exactly three times, and those were for doe hunts.
I haven't a clue about their reasoning, but whatever it is it SUCKS!
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of DeerNut.com
posted Hide Post
AZ changed their 4-day hunts to 6-day hunts this year so that will be a little better. There's just too many people that want to hunt compared to what the deer herd will withstand in terms of removal. My new book "Deer of the Southwest" from TX A&M University Press has a whole chapter 9 on how states in the SW (& Mexico) manage deer. This is the book for anyone interested in Coues WT and Desert Mule Deer.

JIM
www.deernut.com
benottopubs@aol.com

Jim Heffelfinger
Wildlife Biologist & Author
www.deernut.com
BenOttoPubs@aol.com

Posts: 12 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 31 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted Hide Post
The antelope hunts in New Mexico are only two or three day long seasons in August and September.

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Texas, there are so many deer that you will shoot one in a day or so. I have yet to have a Tx deer hunt last more than three days.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas is overwhelmingly private land; most of the rest of the West is public land. What belongs to everybody belongs to nobody.

The issue is game management.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote