New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAKO! How do you pronounce?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, we are arguing at work, I say it is sock-o. Like the things you put on your feet, sock! O! The guys I work with call them SAY-ko like the damn watch! Which is it? [Confused]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sock-o.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Sock-o.

Anyone who doubts can listen to the promo on their website...

Tim

Posts: 1534 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've also heard it pronounced "dammitthisthing reallyshoots!" [Big Grin]

Posts: 5760 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sah-ko

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
I've always imagined it's "Sackoe"... [Embarrassed]

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe me, I know the Finns... [Big Grin] ..and it goes something like this!

"Jarri! Dere runs de mooze! Greb yoor Zokko!"

"Naay Antti. I hed too much de Vodka. Use eensted yoor Rummingtoon..." [Big Grin]

Posts: 5760 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Most definitely Sock-O. And, it's actually an acronym - S.A.K.O.

I can't, for the life of me, remember what it stands for, though.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WHO GIVES A SHIT!

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yukoner:
WHO GIVES A SHIT!

Daryl

no shit, everyone knows who / what you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Here it goes, from the frozen north, as Churchill said, Sako is in fact the old
Suojeluskunnan Ase- ja Konepaja Osakeyhti�.
And you pronounce it just like it is spelled [Smile]
(it means something like Weapons- and Machineworks Company of the Civilguard..)

Today it is just Sako or something italian..

But in Finnish SAKO is pronounced Sa(a like in are)ko (o like in or), with the accent on the first syllable, and both syllables the same short pace, like an angry samurai would say it..

Boha (pronounced the same way) [Cool]

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I've always heard 'Sack- OH"

And Tikka is "Tick AHH"

Brno is "Bruno"

And Mauser is...well you know that one... [Wink]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LMAO (at myself). Around here we call it "Say Koe". Long "A", long "O". After hearing all of y'all pronounce it "sock o" I realize I must truely sound like a redneck. [Smile]

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
I just brought my first,an old 22.250 and it
will not be the last.Damn fine rifle is what I
call it.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Made in Sweden>
posted
You guys crack me up!! I guess the same argument goes on on the other side of the world where a couple of finns are trying to figure out how to pronounce "Winchester" ( finns have a hard time speaking english since finnish has an entirely different origin in the finnish-ugrish languages as opposed to the english wich has its origin in the germanic languages)....
...from a guy thats spent some time in Finland and live in a country west of it...
...it�s really pronounced
Sackoh
...with a short a and o

<Made in Sweden>
posted
And if you want to be perfect when referring to the company just put Oy after Sako, since thats the finnish equivalent of Inc. Like this

Sako Oy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, you guys made my day! I am still chuckliing! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
In finnish Winchester is Vinsesteri or vinsu for short. Obvious, isn�t it.

But try this for a linguistic exercise:

Say fuck-o, exchange the F for S, and there you have it:

Suck-o = SAKO; and you are proficient in finnish.

And yes, a finn using a Remington must be very drunk..

Boha [Big Grin]

<Made in Sweden>
posted
Finns are known to handle rifles better if they are drunk!! (the finns that is)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sock-o is right, but not many use it. Kind of like Franchi is pronounced "Frankie" but you hear all kinds of strange ways of saying it.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin]
please don't begin a new "how do you pronunce" cicle on Italian names..... I've just got up from floor where I dropped for laughing [Big Grin]
really, please, don't.....
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
I just say sako. And I call tikka tikka.

But then I'm a bit strange.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Husqvarna in Finnish?
"Who�s-queer-nah?

You never know..

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Johan,
does tikka and sako words particular effects on you? Is it a Middle Norway characteristic? [Big Grin]
Is it dangerous?
I prefer to feel myself a little strange for a strong drink (alchoolic I mean [Big Grin] ) than for these words.

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ride and race Husqvarna motorcycles, we solve the pronunciation problems by simply calling them "Huskies" [Big Grin] .
Going back to the FRANCHI name, how do you correctly pronounce that? I had quite a go-round with my ex-father in law one time about that one. He was a gun dealer at the time. He pronounced it, "Fraun-KI" long I.

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After the ass chewings i have recieved for buying them....ANY WAY I PLEASE!!!! [Big Grin] ...sakofan...or whatever [Big Grin]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can say all you want about the Finn's Drunk or Sober, they sure know how to shoot and how to build a rifle. Ask the Russians about it.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, being the uncivilized lout that I am, I call them SAY-koe, and if I had one, I'd mount a LEE-uh-pold scope on it. Course if SAY-koe made shotguns, I'd probably shoot sa-but slugs through it... [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I say Sako as I always have, say-ko. I am aware this is wrong but decided I don't care. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3573 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I just got my eye on a nice Spanish sidelock shotgun, with the name of Ugartechea. Now pronounce that if you can! [Eek!]

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
I say Sako as I always have, say-ko. I am aware this is wrong but decided I don't care. Regards, Bill.

I'm with you 100% on this one Bill. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marterius:
I just got my eye on a nice Spanish sidelock shotgun, with the name of Ugartechea. Now pronounce that if you can! [Eek!]

Yo no tengo ningun problema pronunciando Ugartechea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good grief Randy(Kudu56),get a life,go Bumble Bee hunting.lol derF

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Made in Sweden>
posted
Jesus Christ!!! Do you really think the people of a land that kicked Russian butt in -39 would name a rifle something so ugly-sounding as Sock-o!! And the pronounciation of Sako as Sayco is at best disgusting!! I say it again and I�ll keep saying it until death....
Sah-koh!!! with a short a and an equally short o!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sack-Oh, am I right or wrong here? My M-39 Finn rework was reworked by this company.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Cledus:
Sack-Oh, am I right or wrong here? My M-39 Finn rework was reworked by this company.

You're right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Orion1, I thought I was the oddball here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's an acronym, it doesn't matter how you pronounce it, it isn't like a proper name. Porsche is a good example of a named product that gets mis-pronounced a lot. You hear it pronounced "Porsh" when it should be "Por-sha" (short a), because it is a proper name, and whomever's name it is, gets to decide how to pronounce it. I've always had trouble with the english "Smythe" though. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Freddo, no limit and no season! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Socko be what I shootin. Got the lewpold scope too.

Posts: 52 | Location: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote